Website Hosting Etc

SURVEY 15:43 27 Mar 12

A friend uses Microsoft for webhosting her barn holiday letting business. Microsoft is now switching to Office 365 and this entails a charge of £48 pa. for hosting and the ability to configure ones own website. Is there a better alternative? Presumably she wuld need a web hosting server and then require some web design software. Any ideas/suggestions plesae?

Steve @ CCL 15:56 27 Mar 12

To be honest I'd need some more details to answer this one. How is the website currently managed? Is it custom written if so in what language and if not what's it built around? Sharepoint, Wordpress, Joomla etc?

If you can answer these I'm sure we can see if there's any form of work around.

LastChip 16:13 27 Mar 12

You need to be realistic. If what she has does the job well, £48 pa isn't even a pound a week. If however, it's not what she requires, that's a completely different question. Furthermore, is the £48 an additional cost, or the total cost? Without knowing the total cost, how can we suggest whether there are better options?

As [email protected] has already said, there are many more considerations than the information at hand and she needs to consider very carefully, what is the best option for her business.

There are hundreds of web hosting providers (I'm one myself), but it's all about the service level you get and how it relates to your business.

SURVEY 16:19 27 Mar 12

The present wbsite is a simple 4 page one run under Ms Live Mail freebie. There is a domain name *.org which is wanted to be retained. Windows Live includes a simple web editing suite but what it is I have no idea. Just discovered that Office 365 involves a charge of £57.6pa and an annual domain charge of £4.8pa with a £50 domain shift to the new system. My friend wants the simplest way of displaying details of her rental barn, rtaining the domain name. She has no web editing software so a webhosting site with a user simple editing suite is needed. Unless Office 365 is the way to go??

LastChip 16:40 27 Mar 12

So who owns the domain name? And just for information, a .org domain has traditionally been considered a non-commercial address, mostly used by non-profit organisations.

If the address is owned by your friend and she has access to the registrars, there should be no problem pointing it toward whatever server you wish to use. So often though in freebie situations, the host owns the domain and often holds the user to ransom over releasing it. Something is rarely for nothing!

SURVEY 18:17 27 Mar 12

Lastchip. You may be right here and the .org is owned by the host - MS. To retain that therfore she would have to stick with MS Office365. When I asked MS365 'help' they reckoned my friend owns the domain name and could transfer it but I wonder.....

Batch 19:35 27 Mar 12

I had a small website that had been on hosted on free webspace from Freeserve with an old dial up account for years. I wanted to get off it as it was limited to only 15MB, but didn't really want to pay.

A few months ago I came across this free service 000webhost.com

I switched over and it has been fine since.

The only issue (if you can call it that) was that the original domain name that I had was of the style rabbit.co.uk which was registered through easyspace and redirected to the Freeserve hosting at rabbit.fsnet.co.uk (but was displayed in a rabbit.co.uk frameset controlled by easyspace so visitors only saw rabbit.co.uk). Whereas now it is of the subdomain style rabbit.site88.co.uk and that is what visitors see. One can opt to host your own domain with 000webhost, but it is quite contrived and I would not recommend it unless you are very familiar with the way nameservers and changing the nameservers associated with a domain all works.

Forum Editor 19:44 27 Mar 12

The first thing to point out is that nobody 'owns' a domain name - you pay a fee which guarantees your right to use the name for a specific period (normally one or two years). As long as you continue to pay the registration fees when they fall due you can continue to use the name.

Using MS Office 365 for hosting a site only makes real sense if you are going to use 365 for its main purpose, which is an online subscription service that provides email, shared calendars, the ability to create and edit documents online, instant messaging, and web conferencing. The provision of server space for hosting a web site is ancillary to the prime services.

The basic subscription in the UK is £48 a year, which includes a web site that can be designed using a range of simple supplied tools.

You can get a fully featured web-hosting package from any number of hosting companies for around the same annual cost, and it would almost certainly include lots of easily-customised web-site templates.

One of my personal favourites as far as hosting companies are concerned is Heart Internet Other people may have other suggestions. It's a simple matter to transfer an existing domain name to a new hosting company.

Graham* 20:27 27 Mar 12

I've moved two sites from Office Live to Blogger:

www.catsprotectionshop.com

www.siameserescue.info

If you purchased your Domain through Microsoft you will have to remove it from their control

SURVEY 12:50 28 Mar 12

graham* I can only assume that my friend purchased her domain name though MS. What is the process from transferring the name from MS? Blogger - soes this include website editing functions?

SURVEY 12:55 28 Mar 12

Forum Editor - thanks for your posting. Really it was the convenience of MS that appealed and the fact that a domain name was provided (maybe my friend did pay for this although she cannot remember). Also website setup and editing was all provided. Office 365 has features that she will not use but it does apparently retain the website setup and editing functions that appear to be competitively priced. It would also be in MS' interest to ensure the domain name is easily changed from MS Live to MS Office 365.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant