Website Host: Help me choose please?

Brazils 16:07 15 Oct 03

I am a beginner to web design, and I am looking for a host for my family's web site (mostly photos).

Q1. Would sub-domans allow each family member have their own web site? It would be much cheaper than having 4 domains.

Q2. I have a shortlist of hosts: HostPlus, UKHOST4U and Dataflame. Which should I choose?

Any other recommended hosts? I want an annual fee between £20 and £40. I want one fee annually, not monthly.

Thanks

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:24 16 Oct 03

You get five free sub domains with the home package. I have two sites with them and no complaints so far. click here

Cheers, Whiz...

tbh72 01:30 16 Oct 03

I use hostplus they have been excellent!!! You have two methods to update your website, both with benefits & pitfalls. I have found a nifty little trick using frontpage, which means I have now had my FPSE reinstalled. The only problem with this is PHP forums are very difficult / near impossible to set up, without manually creating a DB which is slightly over my head.

If you can use the supplied online website management feature you will have all the tools at your disposal to manage a very comprehensive website.

Brazils 08:56 16 Oct 03

I've already looked at 1&1 and agree that they are very good, but their payment method is monthly. This works out at about double the annual fee of the three I've shortlisted. I need a host that takes payment annually.

As you have sub-domains, could you answer Q1 for me please.

Thank you for your help.

tbh72 11:50 16 Oct 03

With hostplus using Frontpage you can quite easily create sub domains.

Brazils 18:00 16 Oct 03

Do sub-domains work like a separate domain, so that each family member can have a different site?

Are there limitations to this way of creating separate web sites?

Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks

Taran 18:18 16 Oct 03

If you like 1&1 you can buy a years hosting at once by purchasing online using your credit/payment card. It also works out a little cheaper doing it this way.

In fact, most good hosts are paid for on a per year basis and while some of them will offer you the option of paying in monthly installments many will not.

You don't necessarily need subdomain support either. If 4 members of your family need access to the site for uploading new content you can make sure all 4 have a copy of the username and password.

Make a folder in the web folder for each family member (mum, dad, sis, son etc) and place their 'site' in their respective named folder.

Each folder can have its own index.htm page and so the addresses would be long these lines:

YourSiteAddress/mum/index.htm

YourSiteAddress/dad/index.htm

YourSiteAddress/son/index.htm and so on.

This is effectively a subweb system but does not necessarily support full subweb features which you probably don't need anyway since in your own words you are a newcomer to web design.

Just a thought.

Taran

Brazils 21:38 16 Oct 03

Thank you very much for your advice. I will look at 1&1 again. Mind you I think the package I want is £4.99 per month (£60 per year), which is twise the cost of the others I've listed.

One question. Is their free software package worth the extra cost?

Thanks again.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the 3 Hosts I listed originally?

Taran 21:55 16 Oct 03

Their free software is superb.

You get a CD with NetObjects Fusion 7 (seriously good web editor) plus two sets of pluins for it (Appollon Components and Shop Components). It also contains RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, the latest version of Internet Explorer, several web security programs, an FTP program for site uploads, a registration program for submitting your site to the major search engines, you also get a copy of the excellent Ulead PhotoImpact for image editing and, well, you get the idea.

If you have a good web editing program you may not need NetObjects Fusion but I think the software disk is a gem for those starting out in web design.

I am not able to comment directly on your 3 named hosts since I have never used any of them. Perhaps someone else can step in at this point and offer comment ?

Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know the address of your site when you get it online.

T

Brazils 22:01 16 Oct 03

Thanks again.

Here's my first attempt on Geocites free hosting. It's nothing fancy, but I was quite pleased with it!

click here

Simon_P 22:23 16 Oct 03

I use these also and find them very good

They state payment monthly but infact bill anually.

I use the MS Home package @ £5.99 month about £85 PA, 500 MB web space, tech support very good.

This may be a little more than some but you do get what you pay for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…