Website Domains Register

ShalafiStudios 14:07 16 May 06

I heard somewhere that a Domains register exists for websites. If I wanted to run my Apache-Linux setup machine with my website on, would I have to register with anyone before using a Domain that cannot be found online at the moment?

Do I have to register a Domain or can I just go ahead and fire up Apache and the Virtual Hosts?

Forum Editor 23:45 16 May 06

with the appropriate high level domain administration authority. In the case of names with a .uk suffix this is Nominet UK.

You can register a name with any one of hundreds of authorised registrars, and these usually tend to be hosting companies, so you can register your name via the company which will host it.

Once registered, your name must be 'tagged' with the IPSTAG relating to the nameserver of your host. This information will be propagated to the DNS databases around the world, enabling web browsers to locate the index page for any website that is published to the name when someone types its url into a browser address bar.

Forum Editor 23:48 16 May 06

that just because you can't find a name online doesn't mean it isn't already registered. Millions of registered names are simply 'parked' on a server somewhere. On my own reseller server space I have dozens of parked names that I have registered on behalf of clients.

ShalafiStudios 10:26 17 May 06

What about an extension like .net or the, seemingly, custom extenstion styles like

PurplePenny 11:26 17 May 06

is Nauru click here

PurplePenny 11:30 17 May 06

oops - posted before I'd finished.
They still have to be registered somewhere:
click here

PurplePenny 11:45 17 May 06

Interesting: is a domain that has been registered (that is to say that the "co" bit is just the domain name not part of the extension) and gives away free subdomains. click here

PurplePenny 11:48 17 May 06

How to register a .net:
click here

Forum Editor 23:17 17 May 06

have a domain name administration authority which maintains a register of allocated names.

Rest assured that whatever your chosen suffix, you will have to register it with one authority or another. Most countries have at least one high level allocated to them, and then there are suffixes (like .net) which are intended for specific purposes. Here are a few examples:-

.com A commercial organisation

.edu An educational site in the US

.gov A government agency in the US

.mil A military site in the US

.net A network site

.org A non profit organisation

.eu A site that's based in Europe

Names in some high levels (like .com or .org) can be registered by anyone, but with others you have to satisfy qualifying criteria. Only US military facilities may use the .mil suffix for instance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…