Website design and frames

Handy Spinner 15:27 27 Apr 03

Hello,

I have a website at click here and it seems to work ok except that on some PCs the outer frames (coloured orange) don't show up. It works ok on my PC and I know for sure that 1 PC is running IE 6.0 or higher. Any ideas?

Also I would welcome any constructive criticism on the website itself.

Thanks,

Andrew Spinner

pj123 15:42 27 Apr 03

I have just been there. Orange doesn't work for me either. Also the left hand side links don't work and I can't scroll down the left side.

Handy Spinner 15:50 27 Apr 03

i think you have to wait for the graphics to load. also i dont think u need 2 scroll-what resolution u got on your PC?

Handy Spinner 15:51 27 Apr 03

also do you mean you cant see the border or do you mean you dont like it?

soy 15:57 27 Apr 03

Works fine for me. I can see the orange boarder ok.

Pesala 16:44 27 Apr 03

At 1024 x 768 the orange borders just waste screen space. The Home page doesn't fit in the frame, so scroll bars are shown.

At 800 x 600 there are no orange borders and the Home page fits in the normal Opera window.

Handy Spinner 20:10 27 Apr 03

1280 x 1024 is my resolution. I will hav to design it with 1024 x 768 in mind.

otherwise what does everyone think bout the website? any suggestions to make it better?

pj123 20:26 28 Apr 03

Hi, I can't see any Orange at all. What I mean about the left side is the links Home, Services, About us, etc are static but the bottom icon is only have showing (as if there is something else beneath it)? but it wont scroll down to show that.

pj123 20:28 28 Apr 03

Sorry, should say "the bottom icon is only half showing...)"

Handy Spinner 20:39 28 Apr 03

Thanks for your response. I designed the website with 1280 x 1024 in mind and disabled scrollbars as i felt they spoilt the look of the website - but what do you think?

BTW...I have found out that if you are viewing the website in 800 x 600 resolution the orange frames do not appear. You have to be in 1024 x 768 or above to see them.

Taran 20:59 28 Apr 03

Frames can be a bit of a nightmare unless you are VERY familiar with them.

I'd suggest that you consider a table based static page layout which will largely achieve the same or at least similar results without giving you screen resolution headaches or unpleasant surprises when viewed on other computers.

I don't want to appear negative, but if you and/or your site offer professional web design services, you really shouldn't need or be asking for our opinion and you certainly shouldn't be designing pages at your native 1280 x 1024 resolution. You obviously have a degree of talent judging by your page layout and general design, but there are certain basic fundamentals you have overlooked.

I'd suggest you take a long look at tables and use percentage values for their dimensions. This makes them appear the same size in relation to screen resolution, regardless of someones monitor size.

For a very simple example of a table layout, take a look here:

click here

The HTML code is in a Zip file if you'd like to download it to study. The whole page is less than 3kb so it loads up very quickly, and while it is a very simple layout, it does give an indication of how a percentage table size value can automatically resize if you change the viewers resolution. Keep in mind that this is a file I often use for tutorials and is not meant as the last word in design; it is intended as a demonstrative download.

Another table based layout is here;

click here

There isn't much that tables can't do in terms of layouts for web pages and their very few disadvantages are far outweighed by their impressive list of pros.

I hope you view this as constructive, which is how it is intended.

Good luck with your site.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…