website critique please

bigggles 20:17 31 Mar 07

This (click here) is my first serious attempt at a site. As you can see, it's for a good charity cause, so before I launch it on the unsuspecting public (at the real URL) I would appreciate any comments.

p;3 21:56 31 Mar 07

to me it seems clean ; I like the links to the different languages ; there is a lot on the site and it presents as those on 'official' sites; navigation seems easy

PurplePenny 23:33 01 Apr 07

I would echo fourm member's comment about the blue text on white. The grey text at the bottom of the page is definitely too low in contrast.

You haven't used any headings. Pages shoudl be marked up with headings to benefit users of assisstive technology. For instance sighted visitors can see the names of the branches at a glance but a visitor hearing the page has no such visual clue and cannot jump to the relevant address easily.

Some of your link images are missing their alt text. This may mean that users of screen readers do not get the links. I don't get the links if I turn images off but I'm not sure how the various screen readers would handle it: they might read out the links anyway.

Forum Editor 00:57 02 Apr 07

highlighted by the others, I wondered why a Citizens Advice Bureau site is sitting on petefryer.co.uk

Would it not be a better idea to have a dedicated domain name instead?

chestercab.org is available right now, as is chester-cab.co.uk

The cost is small, but the advantages are great.

bigggles 09:41 02 Apr 07

Many thanks for your comments. I will look at the accessibilty issues, and a DW page centering technique has conveniently appeared in another thread.

Regarding FE's observation re the location - I have used my own URL to design and tweak the site, and to learn FTP. When I'm happy that it's as good as I can make it, I'll transfer it to chestercab.co.uk to replace the site that's there. I'm just more comfortable keeping my efforts hidden from general view at this stage!

Thanks again - it's all adding to my learning curve.

CodenameCueball 11:29 03 Apr 07

i like it, but maybe in the background have a blue to white graident, blue @ top, white @ bottom. would look good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos