Website creation !!

Antz 11:48 01 Mar 04

I have just registered my own domain name and I'm using the URL forwarding feature to link to a free website I created on at click here. However the results are very basic. As freeserve also offer an 'FTP' service I would like to have a go at it to improve the overall appearance of my website. Does anybody have any suggestions for a 'newbie' as to how to get started on basic FTP. A homepage would be sufficient for starters. Thanks in advance.
Anthony

canard 12:10 01 Mar 04

Yahoo offer free websites with exceedingly simple proceedures. Easy enough for dotards and 5yr olds!

Mysticnas 12:16 01 Mar 04

maybe it would be a good idea to get this moved to the webdesign fourm???

Like canard says, placed like Yahoo have geocities which help you make a simple site.

Other than that you could use DreamWeaver which is a little more complicated, but once you get to grips with it simple-average stuff should be a doddle.

Taran 12:55 01 Mar 04

You can get quite a few free FTP programs and I imagine that Freeserve will probably provide you with a link to one or two of them. If not, a quick search in the download section of this site will provide you with some possible programs.

FTP does not improve a sites appearance. It is a method of moving files from one to another location [File Transfer Protocol] and is normally used by people to upload files from their PC to the web server that hosts their website.

Improving the appearance of a homepage is done either by writing the HTML code yourself and embedding images into the page to liven it up, or you use a program to help you generate the page.

Dreamweaver [mentioned above by Mysticnas] is one of the better web authoring programs and it also features a built in FTP client so that when you have made your pages with Dreamweaver you can upload them to your web server from the same program window. Unless you already have dreamweaver though, I see no point in you buying it.

It would help to know what you have in mind. Do you want to 'jazz up' your homepage and maybe add images, colour and so on ? Do you perhaps want to add more pages to the site and expand it ?

You can get a free and pretty comprehensive web page editor from this link:

click here

You may also have something on your computer that can do the job. Many people have FrontPage as part of Microsoft Office or FastSite as part of Lotus SmartSuite.

So to recap, FTP is a method of uploading the files that make up your web page or site to its home on your web hosts or ISPs web server where the world can see it through their browser. Programs like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, NetObjects Fusion, Adobe GoLive and similar products allow you to easily create the pages of your site, which may then be uploaded using FTP.

If you give us a little more information about what it is you would like to do we can help further.

Taran 13:49 01 Mar 04

Having thought about this a little, here are some possible links that may prove useful.

An excellent free WYSIWYG [What You See Is What You Get] web page/site editor called ASP.NET Web Matrix can be downloaded if you click here

It features all kinds of things from supporting the .NET, J and C programming languages back down to the simpler stuff like allowing you to drag and drop items into a web page and alter colours, appearance, fonts and similar. It's only 1.3mb to download and it's one of the best little freebies I've seen in ages. If you can use Word you can use this little program to make your web pages.

Another web editor that is free and reasonable to use [only just] is WebDwarf Free 2.02, available click here

The old CoffeeCup Free FTP 1.0 is still available from Tucows

click here

FreeFTP 3.2 is available free from click here

FTP Commander 7.0 is another free FTP program from click here

Hope this helps.

Antz 00:16 02 Mar 04

Thanks everyone, great help,
Anthony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…