WEBSITE COUNTERS

rotormota 20:11 13 Jun 05

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a website & wondered about site counters. I have 3 recommendations from my server so trustworthy I guess. They are all free as they come with a small link to each company.

Is there anything to watch out for? Are these counters OK? Any other recommendations?

Cheers.
J

PurplePenny 23:38 13 Jun 05

Counters (in my opinion) are seriously naff. They don't serve any useful purpose and can be counter-productive (no pun intended): if there are only a few hits it makes your site look a bit sad; if there are too many hits visitors might think that you've fiddled it.

phil 00:12 14 Jun 05

Although the ones that show a rather large graphic with numbers on, a la Bravenet, are a bit naff some others can be quite useful.

If your site will be getting traffic it's interesting to see how many are on at a certain time and from where they are coming.

You can use your web hosts own stats but I find these, in my case, are a pig to get at and are just meaningless rows of figures.

I use Sitemeter click here on my site click here and have the un-obtrusive small box graphic that sits quietly at the bottom minding it's own business.

I click on it occasionally for a bit of self gratification as I watch it clock up another thousand or so.

Mine's set as private for my eyes only. Sorry.

Patr100 21:29 15 Jun 05

Visible site counters are seriously naff and meaningless vanity -

I use statscounter - free & invisible site statistics - even more detailed than my paid for host statistics:Highly recommended.

click here

Elyse 19:46 16 Jun 05

i would also recommend site meter.

phil 01:02 21 Jun 05

If you're still interested I've found one with public access.

click here

conrail 19:06 02 Jul 05

this is free; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…