website copy

edee66 11:43 09 Jun 05

I was shown here some time ago how to download a copy of my website (for editing) using Frontpage 2000. Can I have this advice again please.
Thanks

Forum Editor 00:04 10 Jun 05

which you access via the file menu.

This will enable you to import the entire site into FP, but for the future I suggest that you set up a fail-safe routine.

As a basic rule you should never be in the position of having to import your own site in order to edit it. The best way to work is to publish the site to your hard drive before publishing it to the server - then you'll always have an up-to-date copy on your computer, as well as on the server. When you want to edit the content, open the hard drive copy, carry out your changes, and click on the 'save' icon on your toolbar. Then (and only then) should you publish the changes to the server.

To summarise:-

1. Import the site into FP

2. Immediately you've done that, publish the entire site to a location on your hard drive (usually inside the 'My webs' folder.

3. Now open the hard drive copy and carry out your edits.

4. Finally, publish the changes to the server.

Carry on like that and you'll never again be in the position of having to import the site.

edee66 10:41 10 Jun 05

Thanks Editor, the reason it occurred was because of a reformat. Although I put and it was possible to edit it. I couldn't upload the edited pages. Nevertheless I appreciate the advice and have realised I needed only to look in my previous postings to find what was said before. Thats the sum total of my ignorance.

thanks again

edee66 10:43 10 Jun 05

Sorry, meant to say 'I put it on disc'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…