website copy

edee66 10:58 16 Mar 05

Some weeks ago I reformatted and consequently lost my (editing) copy of my website. Using my Hostings control panel I attempted to d/load another copy. This has proved fruitless, I have used zip programmes and even resorted to a prog called Web CEO but to no avail. I was met with more or less irritation when I eventually rang my Hosting. I believe the cause is that originally I used Wxp to d/load and now am using Wme (for compatible reasons). A simple explanation would be appreciated, Im not tech minded and the frustration gets worse by the day.

Many thanks

edee66 10:22 17 Mar 05

This is what I did member. I downloaded Web CEO but find it complicated and they told me I wouldn't be able to use Frontpage with it.

Thanks

Forum Editor 18:27 17 Mar 05

with using Windows XP or ME - what you must do is imprt a copy of the site using the same software with which you first created the site. If that was FrontPage, then use FrontPage to import a copy from the server, as fourm member has said.

Once you have imported your site in FrontPage, go to 'File' and select 'publish'. This will produce a dialogue box where you can select a publishing location. Select a folder on your hard drive and follow the prompts. FrontPage will then make a local copy of the site.

edee66 11:35 18 Mar 05

Thanks guys this is much appreciated.

JonnyTub 20:25 18 Mar 05

Pardon me guys, im way outta my depth but whenever i had to do a format and reinstall and wanted my web site back i just put the letters ftp:// in front of the www. address, enter my password and voila, i can copy all files to a folder on my hard drive. Probaly way off the mark but my two pennneth's worth :-)

Forum Editor 22:58 18 Mar 05

Yes, your method will work very well in many cases, but not in all of them, hence the advice to import to the software in which the site was created.

JonnyTub 00:05 19 Mar 05

And there was me getting ahead of myself ;-)

edee66 12:12 19 Mar 05

Thanks anyway Jonny, I did as the guys said but reckon I did something wrong as my website now has no borders so I have to rewrite the links. Im just hopeless at this. Im using Fronpage and got the Ed's advice wrong somewhere. Slowly getting there though, will look at your suggestion also.

Thanks

JonnyTub 12:44 19 Mar 05

If it's any consolation i use frontpage too. Re-try Fe's advice using (in frontpage) file, scroll down to import and click on it, from the new dialogue box, click on from web and enter your details.

edee66 11:31 20 Mar 05

Ok Jonny thanks, by the way why will graphics appear on the edit and not when you upload?

JonnyTub 17:35 20 Mar 05

err, to be honest i don't know, Fe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…