website connection refused

dawsonc 13:20 21 Mar 05

My favourite website is suddenly returning the message "sorry, connection refused" whenever I try to log on....What can I do to change this ?

Jackcoms 13:27 21 Mar 05

Clean out your cookies and try again.

Jak_1 15:08 21 Mar 05

Does the website need java, I had this problem and it was caused by a corrupt java file. I had to totaly delete all java files and re-install. Fortunately I had the program stored as I could not even get onto the java site to re-download.

Once re-installed everything was fine again. It may bot be this but it is a possibility.

dawsonc 15:17 21 Mar 05

This is the only website that I have this problem on and it does not need Java. Have been in contact with both the website (they were mystified) and the ISP (waiting to hear)

Stuartli 16:08 21 Mar 05

Have you tried entering the website's URL into Allowed websites in the Security/Privacy sections of IE (or Firefox?) - it might have been Blocked for some reason.

octal 16:44 21 Mar 05

Have you had a peek in your hosts file to make sure its not being blocked?

dawsonc 20:42 21 Mar 05

Checked the security settings and can't see any problem. When I try an ping the site through DOS, I get a timed out error. Anybody on the evening shift got any ideas ?

octal 22:01 21 Mar 05

Did you check your hosts file?

dawsonc 10:57 31 Mar 05

Have been speaking to my ISP and they are unable to fix it as yet.

How do I check my hosts file ?

octal 18:08 31 Mar 05

Depending on your operating system, the hosts file is located in the following:

Linux/Unix: /etc/hosts

Windows 3.1/95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open it in notepad or any text editor, the very top entry should read:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you see any other entry, for example:

127.0.0.1 click here

This means that the site is blocked. If you place a # before the entry, like:

#127.0.0.1 click here

the computer will ignore that particular address allowing access, leave the local host one alone though, some applications require this to be open.

As a matter of interest, if you see:

80.84.160.17 click here

You may find it will actually speeds the site up, the 80.84.160.17 is the address of PCA site. It speeds it up because when you request a site the computer checks the hosts first for the address, if its there it saves it trying to convert it from the www address into a format it understands, thereby speeds up the process.

The www bit is for us poor humans to understand, the Internet is happier with numbers :-)

octal 18:11 31 Mar 05

Sorry about the "click here" links, I forgot to put the spaces in, they should be www . pcadvisor.co.uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…