Website can't be viewed with IE8

justjill 19:53 26 Oct 09

Hello all. I'm so sorry because this is going to sound like a spam but it really isn't.

My company website is displaying fine in Firefox and Chrome but when I try to view the homepage in IE8 I get the error message: "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site click here

Operation aborted."

Strangely, it does show the favicon in the address bar and if I type in the addresses of other pages on the same site, I can see those in IE. As I say, it's fine in Firefox, (and we've cleared Firefox and IE caches to make sure it's not a problem there) but given that 60% of our customers use IE, it's slightly worrying. I've also re-uploaded the page in case it had become corrupted somehow.

Also, a friend has said that although she can get it to display in Firefox, she gets a message saying that something is trying to change registry entries on her laptop, and did she give it permission. Very worrying!

Would those of you who use IE and wouldn't mind please tell me if you get the same error: click here

And does anyone have any idea why this is happening? (And, yes, I know the code is shot to bits - I can't afford a proper web designer!)

Thank you :)

Quiet Life 20:02 26 Oct 09

No problem with IE8.

Sea Urchin 21:18 26 Oct 09

And OK here with IE7.

birdface 21:31 26 Oct 09

If using XP go into command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns then press enter .A small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.it should tell you DNS cache has been cleared if so reboot and see if that helps.

justjill 23:14 26 Oct 09

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work :(

Any ideas why this is happening?

birdface 23:51 26 Oct 09

Maybe try setting security to default.or maybe privacy.Sites and type the web address that you want to save and press allow.Ok Apply.
or try with the pop up blocker switched off.Maybe your flash or java needing updating.

eedcam 05:40 27 Oct 09

no problem with IE8

Jayar 08:22 27 Oct 09

No problems with IE8/Windows7 on my laptop, or with IE7/WindowsXP on my PC.

justjill 09:42 27 Oct 09

Thanks for the help, guys. Not sure why it seems to be a problem for some people and not others but I Googled the problem and every article mentions Javascript so I removed the Javascript date and time display and it's working in IE8 now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…