Website Ads

Declanworld 15:22 04 Jan 10

Has Virgin Media introduced Phorm or another Phorm-like facility?

I've noticed that some of my recent on-line searches for products have appeared as ads in other websites.

In fact, on this page click here , all the products were the subject of my searches.

Anyone techy explain how this is the case? Because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after my money.

Here's a screen capture: click here

GaT7 16:41 04 Jan 10

I don't get any ads on that page, or most other websites either. But I use Firefox & the Adblock Plus plugin click here.

GaT7 16:44 04 Jan 10

Also meant to say that you should give them a try. G

rawprawn 17:25 04 Jan 10

Had a look, no ads but a cracking wallpaper site. Thank you.
Try the suggestion from Crossbow7 also if you use IE try IE7 Pro and tick blocking in that. It is an excellent program.
click here

Declanworld 22:26 04 Jan 10

Thanks for all your help - I'll use your suggestions. However, the main part of my predicament is the mechanism that was targetting the ads on one site from searches I made on other sites.

BRYNIT 23:41 04 Jan 10

It's just a coincidence. I cannot see how they can assess all the items you are searching for and the put these adds onto site you might visit.

Declanworld 23:56 04 Jan 10

Well, I did an experiment a short while ago; I browsed to a lamp on M&S and immediately went to click here where an M&S ad for the very same lamp was waiting for me.

Input Overload 00:36 05 Jan 10

Declanworld, I'm with Virgin Media & I haven't had any ads, but I will do some experimentation tomorrow. I do run CCleaner after every browsing session though without fail.

Declanworld 00:40 05 Jan 10

Cheers Input Overload. I've just tried it again, without incident this time.

Declanworld 09:14 06 Jan 10

Here's some info from a Virgin Media newsgroup:

'Welcome to the world of Google.

The sites you're visiting all have their ads provided by Google. Rather
than base the ads purely on keywords from the page you're viewing, they
are also targetted at you, or rather your interests, based on your
browsing habits monitored by dropping cookies about the place.

Further info at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…