Website address question - no www.?

Brazils 10:09 19 Mar 03

I have just published my first website but it does not have a www. prefix.

The site is at UK.geocities.

Can someone please explain how you get a www. site and why my site just starts http:// but without the www.

My friends never find it because they type in www.

thanks

cherria 11:01 19 Mar 03

If you want your own www. web address there are 2 steps.

You need to buy your domain name there are many domain name resellers, I use click here

Then you need to find a web host (dotster do this but are not the cheapest) then you need to upload your site to your host and hay presto you have a www web address

Brazils 11:18 19 Mar 03

I understand what you say, but isn't UK.Geocities a domain name.

I expected my site to be

click here
and not
click here.

I notice american sites are click here

sorry to be a bit thick :-)

Brazils 11:20 19 Mar 03

Don't click here!!!

just hover the mouse over the link to see what I typed

Sorry

Sir Radfordin™ 11:45 19 Mar 03

Its all to do with how the web servers are set up. If you look at this link click here you will see that its the same as with the WWWs in it. You can call your WWW server what you like in that sense.

Anothe example is play.com visit their site click here and you will see that the URL will change from play.com to something else. They are just pushing visitors to different servers all showing the same to spread the load.

I can access an intranet remotey by typing in http: // intranet.xxxx.xx.xx but its the same as looking at a www. site at the same domain.

There isn't anything you can do to change this apart from purchase a domain name and re-direct it to the webspace you are using. For about a fiver oneandone will see you sorted...click here

Brazils 11:48 19 Mar 03

Thank you.

anchor 13:16 19 Mar 03

Why not use the free space offered by most ISP`s?.

Many, but not all, have a normal web address format, such as you want; e.g. ic24.

You could open a "pay-as-you-go" account, and have a web address like

w w w.brazils.ic24.net

Just log in once a month to keep the account current. No ads either.

(I have spaced it out so that you can see the format).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…