Webmonkey :-(

PurplePenny 18:53 11 May 04

Webmonkey is closing down :-(

click here

Will it stay down I wonder?

Penny

Taran 19:27 11 May 04

I think that unless a backer for it can be found to cover its operational expenses, it will probably be lost which, in itself, will be a very large blow to anyone cming into web design and programming.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've linked to Webmonkey for their excellent and easy to read introductory articles on web authoring and programming.

It'll be a great shame and a great loss if it goes and stays gone, but in this day and age I think we may see more of the same.

The bottom line is that corporations are tightening their belts everywhere, and if it doesn't earn its keep or add value to a product or range of products, it is likely to go the journey.

I suspect that measuring Webmonkey's actual value to the parent company would not be difficult. As a resource it is superb, but the hosting, the running and maintaining of the site will be met in dollars and if this isn't repaid in full and more, logic takes over.

I hate to sound so pessimistic, but I think we'll be seeing more of this in the future.

PurplePenny 20:02 11 May 04

"I think we'll be seeing more of this in the future"

Sad but true methinks. I've noticed that increasing numbers of free resource sites now have "donation" buttons. If I enjoy one of said sites and find it useful I will make a donatation but I'm very much aware that my $5 won't make much of a difference.

Penny

Forum Editor 07:07 12 May 04

on a regular basis realises that the writing is on the wall as far as free resources go. It's no surprise - experts have been predicting it for a long time. The Internet continues to evolve, and perhaps a natural part of that process is that access to information will in future come at a price, albeit a small one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…