WebEdit Professional?

Sir Radfordin 18:22 06 Dec 03

click here

Has anyone heard/used/got experience of this company and their "wonderful" products? Have got someone asking me about it and haven't been able to get my head around it's working yet!

Any plain english info would be wonderful!

Forum Editor 18:48 06 Dec 03

and doesn't look too bad. You buy it from them, and install it on your server (or they'll install for you) so that you, or your clients can manage the site content remotely.

These systems are ideal where your client wants to have access to say, update an online newsletter, or add/remove items to/from a catalogue. Essentially it's a Perl/PHP/ASP (depending on server type) script, nothing more.

The caveat with these systems is that they'll only work in Internet Explorer on the client computer - as far as editing is concerned, you can see the site in any browser of course - and you can't use an Apple Mac. At US$179:00 for the single site licence I suppose it's not too bad, it depends on what your client's budget is.

Sir Radfordin 18:50 06 Dec 03

Someone has already bought it and it should have been installed on their webspace but apparently isn't working. I've got a whole history of support emails between them and the makers which don't seem to have solved the problem!

Ah well guess I'll have to use my brain!

Forum Editor 19:15 06 Dec 03

for these scripts not working is server directory/file permissions being set wrongly. It's absolutely essential to get them right or the whole thing falls down.

Usually the scriptwriters provide you with a list of permissions, so you can step through the configuration. There will also be a need to enter urls into the script at certain points, and people who are new to it often forget to do this, or get it wrong. That's why the script company offer an installation service, and if it's your first venture into this kind of thing I strongly recommend that you use the service.

Once the script is on the server and working it's a good idea to take a backup copy of the script as it is on the server, so you can revert to a working configuration whenever trouble strikes - which almost always seems to happen at some point, no matter how careful you are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…