webcams?

mad1234 13:30 06 May 08

I know absoulutly nothing about webcams or skype or whatever but i was wondering if you guys could enlighten me.
a friend in america suggested that i should get a webcam so we can talk to each other over the internet but i am not sure that it is as easy as it sounds.
obviously i will need a webcam & broadband.
i currently have tiscali broadband & no webcam as of yet.
at the risk of sounding thicker than i already do can you just hook up the webcam & chat away using your current broadband or do you need something else?

Thanks

simmo09 13:50 06 May 08

it just installs by USB if i remember, i tried years ago it shouldnt prove too difficult:

click here

Joe R 14:02 06 May 08

mad1234,

used to be a pain, but now very easy and quick to install and set-up.

With most, it is just a matter of installing the software first, then connecting the webcam and letting windows install the drivers automatically.

johnnyrocker 14:22 06 May 08

then use a messenger service for ease such as yahoo etc?

johnny

Technotiger 14:50 06 May 08

You already have broadband so there will be not problem. If you and your friend both have Skype
click here which is very straightforward to download/install and use, plus virtually any webcam and a microphone (some webcams have mic's built-in) then you will find it is very easy to have great video chats with each other.

I use Skype regularly to talk and see, my son in Lanzarote and friends in East Africa.

I have friends in their mid-80's who also use Skype as above, to talk to relatives in Australia and USofA.

Technotiger 14:52 06 May 08

... should read - there will be no problem.

mad1234 08:06 07 May 08

sorry for taking so long to get back but when i got home from work i found that my laptop has had it & i have to wipe the harddrive & re-install everything again so i had to wait till now to check for replies
thanks for all your advice
i thought there would be more to it than that

thanks again

Technotiger 08:11 07 May 08

Hope your laptop is all ok again now. Using video chat with webcam and mic with Skype, really is very easy both to set-up and to use.

Enjoy your face-to-face chats ..... Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…