Webcams

ajgggyrjkfjb 13:38 24 May 04

Just bought a webcam for my PC to enable me to chat live to my daughter in UK (I live in Cyprus). Webcam quality is fine but using Messenger speech quality is pretty awful (for awful read slow). She has broadband, I hook up via a 56K modem. If I change to broadband can anyone tell me if the speech quality will improve, and if so could it then be called good? Don't want to pay for broadband for no real benefit.

Is there any other way to improve the speech?

byfordr 15:38 24 May 04

Try spype click here if not yahoo messenger may be better, audio doesn't seem to be one of msns strong points.

R

anchor 15:47 24 May 04

You were lucky you had any sound at all with MSN Messenger. I, and others, have had none. I agree video quality is good, and better than Yahoo messenger.

Sound on Yahoo messenger is OK, but the video just adequate, even when both are on ADSL.

byfordr-

It seems that Skype is audio only; from FAQ`s:

"Can I use Skype to make video calls as well? -
Our current focus is to make the best voice-application on the planet. But we will be adding many new and exciting features in the future and video-calling is high up on the wish list".

Charence 15:51 24 May 04

You will find that the time it takes for connection to establish quicker and the frequent occurancing of video and voice freezing will decrease although it may still occur at peak internet times. If your CPU is slow then a faster connection wouldn't enable you to notice any difference because processor will make the voice/video slow anyway.

Charence

byfordr 16:08 24 May 04

If need be use skype for your audio and msn for your video and text. Failing that most people don't have a problem with both on yahoo.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…