WEBCAM SOFTWARE

STREETWORK 07:27 10 Jan 06

Can anyone recommend a 'free' application which allows a webcam to record video by way of a motion detector for security reasons. My cunning plan is to set it up as a security camera and catch the thugs who vandalise cars in our street. I have a Logitech Quick Cam Pro, Win XP

PC Bilbo 08:32 10 Jan 06

At this time last year when I left the electronic security industry there was only 1 software suite that had ever been accepted as reliable evidence to secure a conviction in a British Court.This software was developed in Australia.

This is currently used by the police and I'm sure if you contact your local Crime Prevention Officer they can give

Needless to say it's far from free and is intended for decent cameras using CCD detection which can give an adequate picture at night using infra-red.

Cheap webcam's use CMOS technology and whilst they may give a warning if your around in good light, will be useless in the dark and will not have the range of CCD.

Having said all that try this free suite (for XP)
click here

STREETWORK 18:34 10 Jan 06

Hmm...

Thanks for this info. Local Police say that the camera image, provided that it is clear, can be used as supporting evidence. They have asked residence for any such footage, also the local neighbourhood watch suggested it. Still looking for some decent 'free' software to give it a go.

kjrider 18:51 10 Jan 06

Try Catspy. I downloaded it somewhile back at click here its free and if it detects motion in the camera, it records.

Otherwise I have got Ivista which I purchased, but then found i needed to upgrade for it to work with XP - SP2.

Have Fun

KJR

STREETWORK 18:56 10 Jan 06

Will try this one, although it appears to be a beta version.

Thanks

citadel 19:29 10 Jan 06

I had a logitec quick cam pro and it had motion dectector built in, although I never used it. Have they dropped this feature now.

STREETWORK 19:39 10 Jan 06

I did have this on an older logitech webcam as well, but it is not not supplied with the new one. I wonder if the older software which I still have will do the job. No software available on logitech website for this either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…