webcam problems

Rebanut 14:54 04 Jun 08

Occassionaly I try to talk on windows live messenger to a friend in the US, I am in the UK, we both have webcams and the picture is ok, but the sound is awful, lots of static type sounds and just generally poor, I dont know where to start looking for the problem, could it be one specific reason for this or could there be lots of reasons for poor quality, any help would be great.

ambra4 14:58 04 Jun 08

Try using Skype and see if the audio improve

click here

Ditch999 17:04 04 Jun 08

A good quality microphone at both ends is helpful along with headphones or a headset to stop feedback.

Stuartli 19:43 04 Jun 08

If you do go with Skype (I find it excellent), make sure that you follow the sound setup advice from the Help pages - some of the configuration may come as a surprise...:-)

Pick the correct one for your operating system:

click here

Stuartli 19:49 04 Jun 08

Latest version of Skype:

click here

Rebanut 23:22 04 Jun 08

Thanks for your help but can I ask a stupid question? do both parties need to download Skype?
Thanks again for all.

johnnyrocker 23:27 04 Jun 08

you could try one of the messengers and see what sound is like then? yes both parties would need skype or how would they talk?

johnny

Stuartli 23:39 04 Jun 08

It's not a stupid question if you don't know the answer...:-)

Rebanut 23:56 04 Jun 08

If we both downloaded Skype can we still use same webcams with built in mics or do we have to use diff equipment, my old brain is going to sleep now as I am so I will catch up in the morning, thanks again guys.

Colin.

ambra4 01:34 05 Jun 08

Just download skype and go to tools - options - set up the audio and video to use your present webcam

and test using skype make a free call system

ambra4 02:13 05 Jun 08

You have to set up an account at skpye before you can go on line

Once you have a skype name just email your friend your skype name, which they search

for on Skype and add into there contact list, you would do the same on your account just

add there skype name

Once they are on line you just press the green button to call they would press the green

button on there side and you are connected

It just likes picking up the landline phone and making a call

You can also make a call to a landline or mobile by purchasing credits, get incoming calls

forward to your mobile, get voice mail,etc

Take a read on the many options available to make call to friends and family all over the

world at no cost

At present I use Skype to call UK, USA, Australia, assist family with their pc problems

using there web cam and remote accessing there pc, send quick notes using the chat

option, to my son in the US or my daughter in the UK make 800 toll free call to

companies, set up web meeting, demo, etc with good audio and video it just like talking

to someone next door

Try it you would be surprise how easy it is to use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac