Webcam Information

23790954 21:41 18 Feb 07

Hi! there,
As a silver surfer I have been considering buying a webcam for my computer, but before doing so I wondered if someone would explain the advantages and disadvantages of having a webcam. I have very few people that I 'e' mail, but I wondered if there were other websites you could use a webcam for or in my case, do the disadvantages far outway the advantages e.g. does a webcam reduce or obstruct the smooth running of a desktop computer. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. Many thanks for any advice given.

sean-278262 21:43 18 Feb 07

Do you use the likes of instant messenger clients, google talk, skype, msn messenger, aol messenger and the like? If you use these then a webcam can be useful. Otherwise a needless accessory for most.

Technotiger 21:45 18 Feb 07

Hi, I am also a silver-surfer, as are many of my old buddies - we all use web-cams and microphones and Skype. See click here which means that we can talk and see each other for free via our pcs.

Technotiger 21:48 18 Feb 07

A webcam is great if you have relatives or friends overseas or far away, if they also have webcams/mics and Skype you can talk for hours, maybe see your grand-kids etc. I see/talk to my son overseas for hours and it does not cost a penny, much better than Telephone.

Technotiger 21:54 18 Feb 07

Further, a webcam does not interfere with your normal use of pc at all, it has no adverse effects.
Did you see the silver surfer on tv news recently, a day or so ago - he was using a webcam to tell about his lifes experiences on UTube, he has gathered a great deal of interest on UTube, so many people are interested in his old-soldier type stories. Of course you don't have to go that far, but I personally think that they do add a new perspective to surfing the web.

Technotiger 21:56 18 Feb 07

BTW - 22784072 ....

Jim Thing 22:00 18 Feb 07

Technotiger beat me to it. If you have family/friends living overseas, a webcam and a PC at each end will enable you all to see each other as you chat (for hours, if you wish) — and all for free, once you've bought the webcam itself.

I have a weekly 'sched' with my son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren who live near Vancouver. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac