Webcam Information

23790954 21:41 18 Feb 07

Hi! there,
As a silver surfer I have been considering buying a webcam for my computer, but before doing so I wondered if someone would explain the advantages and disadvantages of having a webcam. I have very few people that I 'e' mail, but I wondered if there were other websites you could use a webcam for or in my case, do the disadvantages far outway the advantages e.g. does a webcam reduce or obstruct the smooth running of a desktop computer. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. Many thanks for any advice given.

sean-278262 21:43 18 Feb 07

Do you use the likes of instant messenger clients, google talk, skype, msn messenger, aol messenger and the like? If you use these then a webcam can be useful. Otherwise a needless accessory for most.

Technotiger 21:45 18 Feb 07

Hi, I am also a silver-surfer, as are many of my old buddies - we all use web-cams and microphones and Skype. See click here which means that we can talk and see each other for free via our pcs.

Technotiger 21:48 18 Feb 07

A webcam is great if you have relatives or friends overseas or far away, if they also have webcams/mics and Skype you can talk for hours, maybe see your grand-kids etc. I see/talk to my son overseas for hours and it does not cost a penny, much better than Telephone.

Technotiger 21:54 18 Feb 07

Further, a webcam does not interfere with your normal use of pc at all, it has no adverse effects.
Did you see the silver surfer on tv news recently, a day or so ago - he was using a webcam to tell about his lifes experiences on UTube, he has gathered a great deal of interest on UTube, so many people are interested in his old-soldier type stories. Of course you don't have to go that far, but I personally think that they do add a new perspective to surfing the web.

Technotiger 21:56 18 Feb 07

BTW - 22784072 ....

Jim Thing 22:00 18 Feb 07

Technotiger beat me to it. If you have family/friends living overseas, a webcam and a PC at each end will enable you all to see each other as you chat (for hours, if you wish) — and all for free, once you've bought the webcam itself.

I have a weekly 'sched' with my son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren who live near Vancouver. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…