webcam info

a member 15:24 17 Apr 07

Having never had the need nor the inclination to use a webcam , I have never looked into the subject ,but now I find I will probably need one soon , can anyone advise me on the ins and outs of webcams , for example do you just buy and install and away to go , or is there a subscription to pay etc , also I am looking for good quality video and speech capability , can anyone reccomend a good setup , I keep hearing about skype lately , is this a good option .
It will probably make quite a dent in my savings so I dont want to buy a complete setup . and find out I will have more to pay afterwards in subscriptions or other overheads. I will need a double setup (2 of everything) can anyone reccomend one.

Technotiger 15:48 17 Apr 07

Hi, Skype is brilliant. There are no over=heads, just the initial cost of the webcam. Very cheap too. Look at 8th item down on this list, this is the one I use, it is a great little webcam, with plenty of additional software.

click here

Stuartli 15:48 17 Apr 07

A good quality webcam doesn't cost a great deal and is easily installed - you don't need to pay subscriptions to use it...:-)

Skype is free if used when both (or more) participants have Skype installed on their systems and Skype configures the webcam for you if necessary.

Phone calls to landlines are very low cost through Skype. You can also buy Skype phones for VoIP use.

Good webcams are produced by such manufacturers as Creative and Logitech. Two examples of complete kits:

click here

Technotiger 15:50 17 Apr 07

I would not recommend built-in mic. A better way is to get a head-set with boom microphone. These are also very cheap, I use them all the time.

a member 17:08 17 Apr 07

Thanks all for the good advice .....sorted.

Technotiger 17:18 17 Apr 07

Grreat, you're welcome.

Stuartli 17:50 17 Apr 07

I also use a headset (in fact it's the backphone type) that cost me just 99p at a local discount store.

Works perfectly with Skype...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5