Webcam help needed - please

BrianW 12:10 21 Dec 03

this is urgent as am trying to set up a webcam link with my son for my grand daughters birthday - today. Without the link we won't be able to see her.

Both ends have a logitech zoom webcam

Both are on XP

both have Zone Alarm as firewall

I am on NTL broadband, my son on an ISDN dial up

Yahoo messenger seems to be nearest to completing the link (we've tried windows messenger and MSN messenger as well)

I can see and hear my son but he can only see me

If I try to enable voice contact I get the message that I was unable to connect with the voice server and it disconnects me (and apparently my son)

I have tried Yahoo help, who have reponded rapidly and indicate it may be a firewall problem but when I test my voice link using the Yahoo voice setup it tells me it is successfully connecting with the server?

Does anyone have any clues how to help me connect a sad grandmother and grand daughter - Please?

I am reasonably PC literate but a dummy about networks.

TIA, Brian

Oh yes - NTL say it is nothing to do with them!

LastChip 12:13 21 Dec 03

ZA is stopping the link.

I've had it myself and the only answer is to temporarily disable ZA.

As soon as you have finished the link, re-enable ZA.

woody 12:13 21 Dec 03

Try it without your firewall.

johnnyrocker 12:19 21 Dec 03

tell the other party to alter his options/preferences to no firewall that should work ok.

johnny.

BrianW 12:34 21 Dec 03

I will try it when it is time to connect

Does anyone know of a site on which I can test my connection in advance? I wondered if there was a facility somewhere for setting up a webcam link to test out the connection?

Brian

steve0 13:19 21 Dec 03

In Yahoo messenger - go to a chat room and activate your webcam - someone will most likely ask for your permisssion to view. If you see your webcam saying the no of people viewing you know it is working.

BrianW 16:16 21 Dec 03

I think your good advice has solved my problems. Link with grand-daughter it later this evening, so I will keep this open until that is successful.

Brian

BrianW 19:42 21 Dec 03

thanks all, it worked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…