Webcam does not work in different USB sockets

compumac 21:06 02 Mar 09

I find that if I move my webcam USB to another USB socket on my seven port USB powered hub it functions spasmodically. It only works every time in the original socket where it was initially installed.

As the Webcam software was installed correctly should it not work in every socket?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:47 02 Mar 09

No USB port info and drivers for the device are all store in the registry.

compumac 22:44 02 Mar 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Sorry - don't follow.

woodchip 22:52 02 Mar 09

The Cam should be put into the USB that windows knows it was loaded to, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says above the Install goes into the Registry, so windows knows where and what it is. USB does not mean you can plug and unplug into different USB sockets when drivers have to be loaded for it

ambra4 02:29 03 Mar 09

You must use the same USB socket that you first install the USB devices driver from

The USB device will not be seemed if connected to a difference USB socket

In other words once you have connected and installed the driver for the USB device to

a certain USB port on the motherboard it is fixed to that USB port in the OS registry

To move the USB device to a difference USB port on the motherboard you will have to

do a complete new install of the USB device

USB devices that cannot just be moved to a difference USB socket once the driver is

Installed and working

USB Printers, Web Cams, USB Wireless Adapters, Bluetooth Adapters

compumac 09:54 03 Mar 09

Fruit Bat/\0/\
Apologies, did not appreciate that the No at the start of your post meant No,it should not work in every socket. I misread the post. Now makes sense.

Thanks for replies.
Will now call it closed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…