WebCam and BB Speed question

AngeTheHippy 20:36 23 Jan 09

Evening Chaps,
as some of ya all might already know, my BB speed is a pathetic 512mb - live in rural Lincolnshire and can't get any faster.

Anyway - question is, I'd like to get a web cam but is there any point in getting one with just 512mb connection, or does that not matter? Would like to see Granddaughter via my Lappy.

Thanks loads,

AngeTheHippy
xx

Technotiger 21:11 23 Jan 09

Hi, you should still be able to make use of a webcam.

Minimum requirements (PC):
Windows 2000 or XP (XP required for video calls)
Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection)
Speakers and microphone--built-in or separate
A webcam, if you want to make video calls.
Skype also recommends that you have at least 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM and 15 MB free disk space on your hard drive.

AngeTheHippy 09:07 24 Jan 09

powered down before you posted a reply. Thanks, I think I have all thats required on this (old) lappy. I've also read that Skype video calls are FREE???? come on now - NOUGHT'S free is it?? Surely they impose a charge of SOME kind? Maybe even a subscription? bviously never used it - rely on VoIP and the like.

A
xx

Technotiger 09:36 24 Jan 09

Skype is totally Free for everyday video chat calls.

You can pay for using Skype to call normal Land-lines and Mobiles, but between PC's (both using Skype) it is ALL free!!

AngeTheHippy 09:41 24 Jan 09

with the proverbial feather!! Soo, if I wanted to call pals in NZ for example, I know they have Skype and a webcam, surely - that call wouldn't be free, would it??? Oh - I see I think - ONLY free for PC to PC calls?

x

Technotiger 09:55 24 Jan 09

If your friends in NZ have Skype and a webcam, then they must have a PC! Yes PC to PC is ALL Free! Or even Mac to PC via Skype. I often video-chat to my son who lives in Lanzarote using Skype - he uses Mac computers, I use a PC (XP) in UK.

oldbeefer2 10:05 24 Jan 09

and I Skype for FREE to children in Sydney. Amazing - make the most of it while it lasts - it's brilliant! Having said that, 512 is pushing it a little bit, so you may find the video freezes from time to time. Mt daughter uses a mobile connection for her Mac laptop in Oz - don't know what the speed is, but video drops now and then. But, hey - it's free so worth a try!

AngeTheHippy 12:01 24 Jan 09

8-D - I KNOW they've got to have a PC .. It would be the same scenario with us - I'm using thePC (Lappy) and NZ'ers have a Mac w/webcam. Mmm. Just been looking on Amazon.co.uk - they're really not at all expensive nowadays either are they.

Hi oldbeefer2, yeah. Sadly, stuck with 512. We're LUCKY though, believe it or not! Neighbours on one side cannot have BB AT ALL!! Apparently, all the lines into the village have been used up... They've been living here 16 years as posed to our 4... There's also business (only very few) in the village who also cannot have BB.

A
xx

woodchip 12:03 24 Jan 09

AS above it will still work, but it will be jerky reduce the size of Video for it to run smoother The Resolution not just window

AngeTheHippy 13:24 24 Jan 09

woodchip. Whwn set up in prob a week or so, I'll let ya know how it's goin.

A
x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…