WebCam advice please

csqwared 19:21 28 Dec 07

Hi

I'm considering adding a webcam to my system (relatives in London & Oz)but have a couple of questions if you coud advise please. The cams I've looked at either have a megapixel rating or a frame per second rating - which should I be looking at, and do they influence the speed of transmission and/or picture quality? My system is a Foxconn mobo, 2.8Ghz Celeron CPU,512mb DDR ram, Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card, would I need to alter/upgrade anything? and lastly has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks very much

cc

Technotiger 19:25 28 Dec 07

Frame rate is more important than megapixel, but just about any web-cam will do what you want. Power of PC re CPU/Memory/hard drive rpm all play a part. IMHO the best program to use is Skype.

Technotiger 19:26 28 Dec 07

On your system, more Memory might help - 512Mb these days, though workable, is a bit below the norm, which generally is 1Gb or more.

Stuartli 19:27 28 Dec 07

Even a £10 webcam will achieve what you require - my webcam's frame rate is set at 15fps, which is more than adequate for the purpose it is being used.

Technotiger 19:29 28 Dec 07

Plenty of webcams, with microphone to choose from - Logitech is generally a favourite.

click here

clayton 19:30 28 Dec 07

Got this one from pc world the other day & got them to price match +10% off, ive not used it yet though.

click here

woodchip 19:31 28 Dec 07

You need to keep Picture size small so it does not jerk as much. It mostly depends on how good a upload speed you have on BB

csqwared 19:35 28 Dec 07

My intention was to use Skype, was at son-in-law's in London when he set his up and it seemed a breeze. He set up two systems, one a Logitech & the other a Microsoft and the Logitech did seem easier to set up. I did think the memory might be a bit of an issue and had more or less decided to add some more.

Thank you all for the input, I'll leave this unticked for now and see if I can glean some more tips.

Ta V Much

cc

Technotiger 19:35 28 Dec 07

Sorry to contradict you mate, but I normally run mine at full screen, neither pixilation nor framerate is a problem.

But you are quite correct about Broadband speeds.

csqwared 15:59 29 Dec 07

so I'll close the thread and thanks to everyone for the input.

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now