web space

kakapo 15:07 21 Jan 05

Hello everyone,can anyone tell me how i can use my web space,i would like to set it up but i dont know how.Not that good on the pc yetAll help would be most welcome.
Bill.

Gaz 25 18:31 21 Jan 05

Since most ISP's have a free basic hosting service with them.

I will be able to give specific instructions once I know who your service provider is.

Generally, most ISP's have a link to it from your customer area or they have FTP access.

All you do, is create your website as HTML files (which I assume you have done already) and copy them to the FTP server.

You will probably get a subdomain like: myname.myisp.com

You can then access your space from there, any pages named index.html or index.htm will appear as the default page.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Regards,
Gareth

kakapo 18:36 21 Jan 05

Hi Gareth,i'm with btyahoo.I haven't a clue on going about setting it up as HMTL files,told you i was a computer dummy lol,thanks for responding to my request for help.Bill

Gaz 25 18:53 21 Jan 05

BT yahoo ftp:

click here or click here

Log-in using your bt username and password.

Basically, by using FTP, is like a folder - but remote... as in on their server.

Your website address will be: your_user_name.btinternet.com

Now... HTML is the language basic websites are written with.

Take a look at this: click here

the variable are listed here: click here

but.. if you wish to make a good looking, but easy to make site... then I suggest using software which will work like any other application and give you an Interface from which you design the site in, then export as HTML files.

Dreamweaver and Frontpage are among the top, but are expensive... so.. lets windle down:

NetObjects Fusion, great app, and its not overly expensive. If I remember correctly, it was free on a cover disc sometime ago.

Namo Webeditor 5/4... Your in luck... Version 4 is on THIS months cover disc, get that installed and get going... It's also a great site designer. Version 5 is the latest, and if you like v4 then you may like to buy the v5.

NVU, as close as you are gonna get to Dreamweaver for free, and its all at click here download, the win32 windows version. However, it isn't as easy as the aforementioned and does require some HTML know-how.

Then, once you have a design - save the homepge as index.html, then link the next page to *varaible_name_of_your_choice*.html and save your next page with the same name.

Upload all the files, and images used to your FTP system, by copy and paste into the folder view on your FTP server.

Have fun, and come back if you need any more help. However, give them programs a twiddle, and just play about with them - eventually you will come accustomed to them and all will be okk.

Good luck!!!

Regards,
Gareth

kakapo 19:07 21 Jan 05

Hi Gareth,iv'e managed to do it,can't thank you enough.It' only basic but i will learn all the other stuff.Thank's again,
Bill.

Gaz 25 19:17 21 Jan 05

I'm glad you have managed it. :-)

If you ever need help with HTML or webdesign, I'm sure any of the folks here at PCA forums will be glad to help.

Regards,
Gareth

kakapo 19:22 21 Jan 05

I'm sure i'll be asking for more help later Gareth,thanks bill.

anchor 16:51 02 Feb 05

Front Page Express used to be given away free with earlier versions of Windows. I used it for a time, before getting the full Front Page.

It is very easy to use, and can be downloaded here:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…