web site uploaded to server but not showing on net

The GnoMe 18:00 24 Nov 03

hi all i uploaded my website to the server i am using, a friend of mine has a really fast connection and has a server. so we got a domain name and uploaded it to the default folder /web

however i have come to see it live and the introduction page that came first just showed

click here

why is my website not showing, i will not see him until tommorow but is it a problem at his end, does he need to refresh his server or something or is it something i have done wrong, we told me to up load them via ftp to the /web default folder

my home page is called index.htm as directed

any ideas?

thanks

Jester2K II 18:16 24 Nov 03

This might be better in the WebDesign forum but it might take a while for the pages to get posted i suppose - although my BlueYonder Pages appear instantly!

Whos the host??

What FTP is he using?

What is his webpage written in? FrontPage etc

Any more info you can give us?

Jester2K II 18:16 24 Nov 03

Is the index.htm in the correct location as per click here

spikeychris 18:18 24 Nov 03

Scuse me Jester, are you not ment to be fixing an XP machine?

Jester2K II 18:21 24 Nov 03

;-)

Keith 18:21 24 Nov 03

Your home page must be index.html but I see it is index.htm. The placeholder page that you see almost certainly has the .html extension and so is found in preference to yours. Change your home page to index.html and perhaps change the placeholder file to something naff like giving it a .old extension so that it is not found. Keith

The GnoMe 18:34 24 Nov 03

i deleted the old place holder, prior to uploading

my htm file extensions have been fine when i was using my free temp host though

Keith 22:07 24 Nov 03

Try changing the index file extension to .html - see what happens. You may have been OK with your free temp host, but different service providers do things differently and so what works in one place may not work in the next. Are you certain you managed to delete the old placeholder - that's the file that you're seeing instead of yours? Keith

Keith 22:11 24 Nov 03

If my previous suggestion didn't help, check you're uploading to the correct folder. You may well find you have to place your files in a folder called "public_html" or "htdocs" or some such, not in the root of of your web-space. Keith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…