Web Site Submission

superpianoman01 00:11 30 Jun 03

Hi,

I have recently created click here when i search for it in various search engine it is not picked up. How do i get search engines to find this site without paying for it.

Craig

Forum Editor 00:47 30 Jun 03

it can take weeks, or even months before a site is listed. Did you make submissions to the big UK engines?

There's no great mystery about the way that search engines work, although many would have you believe so. Most of the big engines will list sites eventually, although you'll not be well received if you have non-working elements on your site.

You have one or two areas which could be attended to. The Footloose musicals and News buttons aren't working, and you have an under construction notice on the photo page. In addition, although you're inviting people to register with you for newsletters you don't have any privacy statement on the site. This is absolutely essential, and according to the Information Commissioner's guidelines there should be a link to the privacy statement as near to the point where people enter their details as possible.

In practical terms this means a line of text: "Before you submit your details please read our privacy statement". You can make the words 'privacy statement'into a link to a separate page on which you can explain your policy with regard to the protection of personal information, and what you will/will not do with it. If you need a sample statement post back here and I'll send you one.

phil 18:42 30 Jun 03

One other point about your site is the fact that nobody wants to read content in a narrow slot at the bottom of the page.

Why does half the page need to be taken up by a logo and some buttons. Spend a few minutes reducing the physical size of these and change the page colour to something a teeny little bit more attractive and you'll have a better site.

MichelleC 09:27 01 Jul 03

It's a good 1st attempt. It may need more attractive colour schemes though. And one important fact that a wise man once told me - never apologise when there's no need (ie message board).

Get other sites to link to you as this helps rankings.

Jester2K II 07:53 04 Jul 03

Get your metatags sorted to. These are the lists of words search engines use to catalogue your website.

Jester2K II 08:08 04 Jul 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…