Web search re-directing

ronec 14:39 22 Oct 10

Hope someone can help. When I click on an entry on a search page, whether it be google or yahoo, most of the time the page is re-directed to an obscure search page like gostat.com or gameo.co.uk. and sometimes the address tab just spins without opening. This happens on both I.E 8 and Firefox. I have done a full scan with Norton Power eraser and Malwarebytes. My copy of Vista will not store Restore Points for some reason, even though turned on, so I cannot do a system restore. Has anyone got any other ideas how to stop this problem other than a disc format.

birdface 15:33 22 Oct 10

There was a new update for Java recently.
Maybe remove the old versions before installing the new one if needed.

Maybe give Hitman pro a try and see what it finds it is very quick.

click here

ronec 15:45 22 Oct 10

Hi buteman. I will give it a try, thanks.

birdface 15:53 22 Oct 10

You could go into safe mode for system restore but not sure if it will help or not.
You could run your security programs when in there.
Only other thing that I can think of would be to change your host file and see if that will fix it.

You would need to follow instructions for Vista.

click here

Leave that as a last resort if nothing else works.

ronec 16:02 22 Oct 10

Hi. I have run everything in safe mode. I have tried Shadow Explorer and that shows no Restore point either. Not sure what you mean about host file. I am a bit of a numpty with the jargon of computers, although I can follow instructions, as I have done with all the checking I have done.

birdface 16:12 22 Oct 10

Have you downloaded any new toolbars lately.
Did Hitmanpro not find anything.
I have used the host file in XP and have it loaded on W/7 but never tried it on Vista.
It does look a bit complicated using the Vista instructions so I will leave it for someone else to try and explain how you do it.

ronec 16:28 22 Oct 10

I only downloaded Yahoo toolbar, but after the problem started, so I could try something other than Google. Hitman Pro found nothing. Do I just download Host file and install it whilst following the Vista directions. Does the program just run itself without me having to do anything every time I click on a web link?

birdface 16:51 22 Oct 10

If your Host file is infected this will change it.
You have follow the instructions then you have to unzip it and click on the MVPS and run it.

birdface 16:54 22 Oct 10

You can then update it once a month.
You have not downloaded messenger Plus on to your computer recently have you.
It would show in add remove if you have.

ronec 16:55 22 Oct 10

Thanks buteman, I am just working my way through it now. Will post the outcome.

birdface 17:10 22 Oct 10

If nothing works this looks like the last option Combo Fix.

click here

Now that looks a bit complicated as well but so far it is about the only one that has removed it from others.

If no luck I believe you can get Bleeping Computer help to sort it out.
This Forum will also help you remove it but it takes time because they are kept busy.
You have to sign in and follow all instructions.
It may take them a few days to get back to you but they will help you clear your computer of any problems.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…