Web Search Programme

Yo Ho 09:34 03 Dec 03

Has anyone heard of a programme called Web Search? I've been having probs with puter freezing whils't on line, and all sorts of error messages at startup, and other times too. I have to turn the power off, and reboot, as Ctrl/Alt/Del does nothing, nor does anything else for that matter. I have looked in Add/Remove programmes, and Web Search seems to stand out, as I had a couple of zone alarm pop ups asking if it could connect as a server, etc, to which I said no. No matter how I try, it will not be removed. I have looked in Windows/System folder, and can't find anything with that name there. I am running Windows98 SE. Help please.

MichelleC 10:52 03 Dec 03

After doing an av scan, try deleting in safemode.

Yo Ho 11:27 03 Dec 03

Done the AV Michelle, but how do I start in safe mode?

MichelleC 11:40 03 Dec 03

If you're 98+ press Ctrl when booting (depending on mobo) or w2k is F8, not sure about xp.

Diodorus Siculus 11:45 03 Dec 03

WebSearch can often be removed using AdAware from Lavasoftusa.com and / or spybot search and destroy from click here

rawprawn 11:47 03 Dec 03

XP press F8 at the message "please select the operating system to start"

Yo Ho 12:54 03 Dec 03

OK guys. Got it sorted..........yes............gone for ever I hope. :) Just for the record, I got this advise from a friend, and it worked.

Go to Start | Run,
type in regedit,click OK

In the Left Pane, find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Double Click it to expand it

There will be a number of directories underneath the Uninstall directory. Right click on the one(s) that you wish to delete, and click Delete

Ta much for your help. :)

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 03 Dec 03

Quick query: is it gone, or simply a reference to it in the registry that you removed?

Jester2K II 14:43 03 Dec 03

I thought that fix would remove the Add / Remove program entry and not the software itself...

rawprawn 15:39 03 Dec 03

If you really want to remove it through the registry you have to type the exact name of the program then click find delete any references to the progeam then click find again and so on until there are no more. Always backup the registry before playing about in there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…