Web pages not loading"

Phrixos 15:09 25 Oct 10

Hello.

Using Windows Vista (32 bit) my computer woke up the other day unable to load web pages. Oddly enough, I can send and receive emails--and I can access the web just fine, using Download Accellerator, as I am doing here (thank God for it)--but, suddenly, I can't get a web page to load via any of: Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Google Chrome.

I disabled my (Avast) antivurs and the problem was solved, and which problem reappeared again the moment I re-enabled Avast. Avast tells me the problem is with my (Comodo) Firewall.

Now, I flat-out don't understand Firewall settings, so I uninstalled Comodo altogether--and still the problem persists.

I like Avast; so I figured it would work better with its own Firewall, so I forked--out for and installed Avast's own full security system (w/all default setting.)

IT is working, but--you guessed it--I still cannot get web pages to load, except through DAP.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 25 Oct 10

Try stopping the network shield and see if you can then get web pages.

provider 2 15:55 25 Oct 10

Suggest the problem may be due to Comodo, or at least parts of it not completely uninstalled.

Go to network and sharing(LAN settings); click on view status then properties to see if any Comodo settings are still there and if so, delete them.

Phrixos 22:00 25 Oct 10

Thanks, Fruit Bat and provider2 for replying.

In Local Area Network Connection > Properties > "This connection uses the following items:" box, nothing is present that mentions Comodo.

Stopping the Network Shield has made no difference.

Phrixos 22:10 25 Oct 10

(I should add, I tried reinstalling Internet Explorer 8, but which also made no difference.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos