Web pages freezing

StellaArtois63 12:10 01 Mar 04

I am using windows XP and I have recently come across a problem.I used to be able to open internet explorer 2 or 3 times so I am able to compare websites which now I am unable to do.When I open a second page it just locks up, and are unable to do anything at all with the page, and the only way I can get rid of it is to alt-ctrl-del.Its various web pages the latest being egg.com and halifax but in the past it is any second or third page.When I open the website with only one page open there is no problem. I have checked there is no spyware running and that is all clear.I have checked for viruses and thats all clear, turned my internet security off and that makes no difference.The ISP I am using is NTL b/band.
I would very much appreciate any help for this annoying concern.Thanks

Giggle n' Bits 12:20 01 Mar 04

First is check you have all the Windows updates - Security patches installed. I would suggest also to reinstall Internet explorer.

Sometimes the settings in internet explorer may have been altered, try restore defaults.

What Internet security have you got ? Would you happen to have Zone Alarm ?

StellaArtois63 12:26 01 Mar 04

The internet security is Nortons 2002

JIM 12:26 01 Mar 04

Have you done a clean out of your temp,cookies,files of late?--Defrag etc. checked in the windows task manager to see if your overloaded with running programs.How high is the reading in the PF usage area? Are you due for a memory upgrade?

StellaArtois63 12:35 01 Mar 04

Only this morning I cleared all the temp files cookies etc and run a defrag.The PC itself is ony 4 months old. I am not sure what you mean by how high is the PF usage area,please enlighten me as my computor skills are not great

JIM 14:37 01 Mar 04

Sorry,if you open up the win task manager,ctrl/alt,delete, and look in performance tab,you will see PF usage(page file) show up in MB's.Just wondering how high it is reading when your working away.ALSO,how many programs are running at the time.You would see by clicking on the processes tab in task manager close by along with the CPU usage.

The info may or may not be relevant to your problem but may tell us something.The pages you mention (egg.com and halifax)being a high encripted secured site may stop or cause problems when opening other sites or more ie windows? Only a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…