web pages, blank boxes.

COL666 15:32 10 Mar 03

Hi,
can anybody tell me why I get boxes with just a red x inside ? This occurs on some but not all web pages I view, and it has just started to happen.
Do I need some kind of plug in to view these boxes ( I think most of them will be for advertising purposes) I am fairly new to computers as you can see, but this is quite annoying.
I run windows xp, pent4, 256mb, if that helps! oh and internet explorer 6.
Cheers,
Colin.

cherria 15:40 10 Mar 03

Most likely they are shockwave flash objects and you need the flash playey from macromedia.

Right click on one of the red x's and select the properties menu item. If the reference ends in .swf then this is the case.

here is the link to download and install shockwave player

click here

cherria 16:10 10 Mar 03

Thanks for your idea,
however it did not work. Can I give you a example of what I mean.
MSN homepage, on the right of page a small box with the red x and click here. I did as you suggested and the properties page came back with this info, 008142830001.D1.jpg
anymore ideas?
thanks
Colin.

cherria 16:11 10 Mar 03

please give the web address of the page that is causing you problems.

COL666 16:29 10 Mar 03

I have lots of problem pages, the example I gave in last post is click here
colin.

cherria 16:40 10 Mar 03

Normally the red x indicates a broken link to a picture. So, in the example above, the web server could not find 008142830001.D1.jpg

As I have loaded msn and have no red x's it must be a problem with the settings on your PC, have yo uchecked your internet explorer security settings or options. Make sure that you are not set to not allow images (under tools options)

JoeC 17:21 10 Mar 03

if you are running a firewall and have " Enable Privacy " ticked - I know that this was the cause of me having the same problem. Once I unticked the privacy setting I never had a problem. : }

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…