web page re-direction

edgie 17:27 18 Jun 04

Whenever I try to open certain sites, I am being re-directed to another site totally irrelevant to the site that I want. The site that I am re-directed to starts with vx55.com and ends with various things but is usually an advert for something or other. The net result is that I can't get on the site I want to. It starts to form but is then swallowed up by this vx55 site. Can anybody help?

Valvegrid 17:35 18 Jun 04

Try running both these programs to make sure you've got no spyware:

click here

click here

Also in Exlporer and do a search for 'Hosts' (without the quotes) there should only be one entry there and that is: 127.0.0.1 localhost if there are more, let us know.

GaT7 17:54 18 Jun 04

After running scans with updated versions of the above programs, also install SpywareBlaster (SB) click here. Enable protection after install. SB works in the background & protects your PC from ad/spyware as you surf. With all the above programs remember to check scan & check for updates regularly. Good luck, G

edgie 18:30 18 Jun 04

Downloaded these and still no joy. Getting the same website coming up when I try to access the one I really want. I did a search for hosts on my c drive and got 11 results mainly in windows/system32 sub direct, skybot directory and windows/i386. Anything else that you can think of I will be grateful for

VoG II 18:33 18 Jun 04

Try CWShredder click here

If you have Windows XP the HOSTS file will be in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

pj123 18:34 18 Jun 04

How about a link to 1 or more of the sites you are trying to access?

edgie 18:56 18 Jun 04

Yes the site is a football site click here
Now don't all stop helping me because it is a United site!!!

Dorsai 19:14 18 Jun 04

Having had this happen to me, and knowing how irritating it is, and also having seem many threads on this fourum alone that mirror edgie's plea for assistance, can't someone come up with a way to 'broardcast' this problem, and it's solution (typically hijackthis and cwschredder) for all and sundry to see?

out of 52 odd million people in uk, 142,000 are users of this site. what % of the uk are on line????

i have seen many simular pleas for help, none of which are in any way un-deserving, about the same subject, since i registered.

anyone able to think of a way to make this problem and it's solution public knowledge?

Valvegrid 19:18 18 Jun 04

Don't worry edgie, you're forgiven :-)

I can get into it no problem.

Can you have a look in the host file, if you follow the path VoG™ gave it'll take to the hosts file I mentioned in my first post. Have a look in there and tell us what you see. You'll have to open it in Notepad.

pj123 19:29 18 Jun 04

edgie, I have just clicked your link and I get straight in. No re-direction whatsoever. I am not a football fan so when you say it's "a United site" what is United? If you are being re-directed I would suggest that you have some sort of Virus, or spyware on your computer. Check out the links that have been posted and get them all installed on your computer. No one has mentioned AVG so maybe you should get that as well from click here

edgie 19:29 18 Jun 04

Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally
comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

217.116.231.7 aimtoday.aol.com
217.116.231.7 aimtoday.aol.com

# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…