Web page loading stalls on new computer

Dazzledoc 20:36 20 Apr 06

I have just got a new computer (Fujitsu-Siemens Sceninc Edition X102) for my kids to use. It has been set up and runs perfectly (Windows XP SP2 plus Internet Explorer 6) apart from one irritation. When I try to connect to some web pages they stall and will not finish loading - with the message '3 items remaining' or similar. This has happened with pages like 'milkshake' on the channel5.com site and some of the Cbeebies pages on BBC.co.uk. Other pages seem to load and link without a problem. Is there some setting or other programme that I need to add to get it to work OK. The new computer is on a home network but before this one I had another machine running Windows 98 in the same place and it loaded all these pages without a problem.
Thanks from the kids in advance for your help!
Cheers
Phil

ade.h 20:55 20 Apr 06

Probably either your javascript permissions (not to be confused with Java, which is unrelated) or your firewall's content filtering.

skidzy 21:05 20 Apr 06

Similar idea to ade.h

If you have the windows firewall turned on and also using another firewall,you may well have a conflict going on.

Alternatively,could it be that you need something like macromedia flash player to view all of the web page in question.

Dazzledoc 21:08 20 Apr 06

Thanks
I am using Zone Alarm and have set it to allow IE full permissions. I have IE options set to the default setting with security set at medium.

skidzy 21:18 20 Apr 06

Something for you to try.

Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level >

Check you have Scripting enabled.

This may be a matter of elimination between enable or disable on some of your settings.

Have you cleared your cache ?

Try this: click here

Dazzledoc 21:53 20 Apr 06

Thanks again
I have enabled scripting and I have cleared the cache, temporary internet files and cookies. I do not have Windows firewall switched on and I tried switching off zone alarm for a short time to try and load the milkshake site. I cannot download macromedia flash on the computer because the download page stalls at '1 item remaining'
Frustration!

skidzy 21:57 20 Apr 06

Can you post the link to you Milkshake site please.

skidzy 22:01 20 Apr 06

click here

Untick the yahoo toolbar option first.

rdave13 22:11 20 Apr 06

I have the same problem. If your childrens' account is not set to administrators then windows will not allow flash player,etc.The only way I can get cbeebies etc. to work properly is to log on under my account(full administrator)and supervise the child. Bit annoying really.

Dazzledoc 22:20 20 Apr 06

Eu******reka!
It was Flash Macromedia player. I went to the bbc childrens site and a window appeared asking if i wanted to install Flash Macromedia player (why had this not appeared before?). I ticked yes and that site loaded. I then tried the infamous milkshake site and it loaded straight away.
Thank you for your helpful replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…