web Page

lazanda 15:34 13 Aug 04

I want to put up a site for my department on the internet to reach our vendors doesnt have to be available or searchable by the public, just a thing between our companies.

I use dreamweaver mx and I know all that side. But how do I get webspace (about 100mb) and a name etc ? I have no clue so if I could get step by step it would be great.

Thanks

Forum Editor 17:48 13 Aug 04

and you "know all that side", but you don't know how to get web-space and a name? That leads me to believe that you've never published a site.......so how come you know all about site design?

Leaving that aside for now, here's what you do:-

1. Choose a web host. There are literally thousands of them, but I assume you'll want a good, solid company. That being the case I suggest you take a look at
click here These people approach web hosting in a thoroughly professional way, and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

2. Select a Linux or Microsoft hosting package. Your choice will obviously depend on the type of site you're going to run, but you'll know that anyway.

3. Select a domain name.

4. Sign up and pay the required fee - usually for a 12 month hosting period. Your domain name registration will take a couple of days to go through, and when it does........

5. Publish your site to the server.

At this stage the site will be visible to anyone on the internet - you'll have to operate a username/password access system if you want to exclude everyone except those people in your vendor companies. Once again I assume you'll know about that as well.

Good luck - come back to your thread if you need any further advice.

infostarved 20:49 13 Aug 04

Hi,
I am new to everything to do with computors but have put my site casadaterrina.com on the web with infinology.com very easy and reasonable and they respond very quickly to your e-mails.

lazanda 10:27 16 Aug 04

The reason I know about web design and use such packages is that I have uploaded a website but only a personal one that I got free with my isp subscription.

For example I had NTL and I got free web space which I have uploadad to but thats just a case of following their (NTL) instructions.
I have never just got a host, space domain name etc directly and I didnt know if that was different.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all this info, it tells me exactly what I want to know.

With reference to user names and passwords I dont know anything about this as I have never done it.

If you can drop me any hints it would be much appreciated. I will follow this link now and check out 1&1.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Forum Editor 19:33 16 Aug 04

booked, come back to your thread and let us know - we'll go through the options as far as password protection is concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…