Web Outlook - do not mark message as read on first click

collinsc 01 Apr 13

hi when i open my outlook (formerly hotmail!) on a web browser the first message automatically gets marked as read, is there a way to stop this? when i revisit my mailbox and no new messages have arrived i want all the msgs to remain 'unread'. Thanks

collinsc 06 Apr 13

anyone please ? :)

rdave13 06 Apr 13

When yo open Outlook tick the small box for all messages to the left ov View all. On the blue tool bat above click on the three white dots and select Mark as unread.

On the left under quick view click on Flagged and see if you can un-flag the message.

rdave13 06 Apr 13

Blue tool bat = tool bar, oops.

collinsc 06 Apr 13

hi dave, thanks, thats a good workaround, what i was trying to achieve was to not automatically have a message as read when i first enter the inbox. basically i am going in to the inbox, there are no new messages, but the first message will be marked as read - i want to stop that.

rdave13 06 Apr 13

Also if you click the tools icon on the right and select More Email settings you can customise Outlook from that page.

collinsc 06 Apr 13

thanks dave

rdave13 06 Apr 13

Found it. In the options page select reading pane under Reading Email. Tick the box for 'Show a message only after I select it'.

collinsc 07 Apr 13

dave- thanks for looking... the problem with that is that when you log in to outlook you are automatically on the first message! so it automatically marks it as read :(

blckknght5 29 Apr 13

I'm with you collins! It's aggravating! Anyone have a fix for this?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message