But here goes:
1. Make absolutely sure that everything on your site works - hyperlinks both internal and external, and site navigation.
2. Try to set up reciprocal linking arrangements with other sites. Do NOT link directly into a page other than the home page on any external site unless you have the express permission of the webmaster.
3. Don't put endless lists of keywords in your code as meta tags - modern search engines will discount you if you do.
4. Don't host your site in ISP free web space.
5. Don't include adult content.
6. Update the site on a regular basis - search engines look for changes at frequent intervals, and will see your site as 'dead' if you allow it to just sit there. Change images and/or text at least once every couple of months - if you're stuck for content concentrate on the home page (index.htm) first.
5. Try to promote the site in other ways - put the url on your letterhead and/or business card, and talk it up whenever you get the chance. Hand cards to anyone you think will visit or recommend your site.
Look at hundreds of other sites and pick up design ideas. Make your site as attractive as possible and try to grab attention on the homepage. It's a slow and arduous process, but it will work. At least, it will if the site's worth visiting in the first place.