web mail

WANEY 08:34 29 Apr 09

I get an average of 45 spam e-mails per day on my Orange web mail, as they are all from different sources I cannot block them on the "black list".
Orange say that if I leave my web mail "unvisited " for a total of 291 days the web mail service will be discontinued, I'd be quite happy with this because I prefer to use Outlook Express for e-mail, but can anyone tell me what happens to the 13,095 messages that will have accrued on my system; do they cause an overloading problem for example?
Any advice please.

MAJ 12:31 29 Apr 09

An overloading problem to whom?

They might, depending on their size and your inbox's allowed limit (if it has one), prevent other emails from arriving in your inbox, if the spam messages aren't automatically moved to a dedicated 'Spam Folder'. Usually a webmail provider will have some sort of spam filtering procedure active on their customers accounts, which directs these spam emails to a spam folder, from where they are automatically deleted periodically, usually after 30 days or so.

WANEY 14:01 01 May 09

Thanks Maj,
Orange are not very helpful in providing information, probably because I've just left them and joined Plus net; however I do not believe that here is a limit on the number of e-mails received and Orange were insistent that the web mail had to be "uncontacted" for a period of 291 days( a peculiar figure ) before the Web mail service would be discontinued.
Sorry if this sounds like I'm a moaner but I' m still concerned about any "damage" that might occur to my computer whilst 13000 messages are accumulating on the system. I'm a novice at computing hence my queries, hope someone can allay my fears.

Clapton is God 15:29 01 May 09

"I' m still concerned about any "damage" that might occur to my computer whilst 13000 messages are accumulating on the system"

As you're, apparently, using a web mail service (and presumably you log in at the Orange web site to view your e-mail) there are no e-mails on your computer. They're still sitting on Orange's mail servers.

WANEY 11:02 04 May 09

Thanks Maj and Clapton is God.
Your info has reassured me.

Sea Urchin 16:31 04 May 09

So presumably you are not going to access your Orange emails via Outlook Express either?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5