Web Hosting Guide

javaBalls 20:29 27 Sep 05

There have been a lot of posts to this message board about hosting companies but I would like people to recommend a good website that compares hosting companies.

Thanks in advance

Taran 20:42 27 Sep 05

Google search for web host review click here=

Same search within the UK click here

click here

click here

click here

Taran 20:46 27 Sep 05

Before you go nuts with some of the 'request a quote' options, be advised that you will be swamped with rubbish, depending on the site you use.

I ran a 'request a quote' this morning for a hosting company that would offer specifics for one account I need to handle - I requested JSP support for an application I have to migrate from its current home. So far I've had over 20 emails today from hosting companies responding to my request for a quote. One of them actually offered JSP support while the rest merely insisted that theirs was the only option I should possibly consider.

That'll teach me to be lazy - I should have spent the time chasing the usual companies I use to have a JSP account configured...

javaBalls 20:47 27 Sep 05

thanks Taran. I know how to do a Google search.

I wanting people to post sites that they have used and would recommend

Thanks anyway

Taran 20:56 27 Sep 05

That's why I included the three links below the Google searches.

Taran 21:02 27 Sep 05

It's all relative anyway.

If 10,000 people vote for one host and 100 vote for another, the results will differ wildly for obvious reasons.

I've hosted with a great many firms over the years and some of the biggest names have given the worst service - one in particular is a huge hosting company and their support stinks or at least it has every time I've had to use it.

My own view is that things will go wrong, sooner or later. I am more interested in how they are fixed than the fact that they went wrong to begin with, and this is where a lot of firms fall flat.

I've had some truly superb service from smaller hosts but their prices are invariably higher - worth every penny though.

I get really annoyed since I have a background in systems admin and I know both Windows and Linux servers very well, so I know how to fix things myself when they go wrong. Unless you lease a dedicated server though, you don't have sufficient access rights to do that...

javaBalls 21:13 27 Sep 05

Thanks for your response. I will look at some of your links.

Having read some of your other posts I know you know what your talking about.

I'm having problems with easily. Thier support is crap. You send and email to them and they will reply if they feel like it. I work in IT support I expect more.

I know you have had experience with web-mania. This is the company that I am favouring. What is thier support like?

Also while your here do you know if web-mania (or easily since I'm still waiting) offers command line access to MYSQL? I no longer want to use phpMyAdmin.

Taran 21:33 27 Sep 05

I've no clue whether either of them will offer you full command line access to MySQL.

The accounts I have with both are low in feature requirements and other than when I first set up with Web-Mania I've never played with their MySQL beyond an initial spin. I do recall that their PHP and MySQL were both several dot versions older than they could have been, which may be worth noting, depending on the requirements you have of course. I'd hate to see you use some version specific scripts only to have them fail before they get off the ground due to incorrect version software at the server level.

In fact, I've just called up Easily's web host matrix which states their MySQL is version 3.23.58

Web-Mania claim to offer SSH access, so you may be able to command line to MySQL via MySQL, MySQLAdmin and MySQLDump, but remember that their software is (or was) older than you will probably want.

T

undertrois 19:23 19 Oct 05

why not try click here

new company - great support! =o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now