web hosting companies

toddymax 14:14 01 Apr 06

Going round in circles. Help. Who knows of a hosting company who has UK server, supports Frontpage expensions, is reliable in terms of support. Heart internet seems to be not too expensive and offers lots of options, but couldn't get a really straight answer from them about time taken in their system to get help if needed. Any experiences re. web hosting that would be useful to hear about?

ade.h 15:45 01 Apr 06

I currently use Streamline and Freedom 2 Surf.

The former is fully featured (FP, PHP, CGI, ASP and so on; limitless bandwidth; good email features) and is pretty cheap. In fact, going any cheaper involves a big loss of features. £47 ex vat for two years on my chosen package.

F2S is not as cheap, and has slightly less functional email; no auto-responders for example, though it does support forwarding. £48 ex vat per year if you include email.

The support of both is quite good; F2S has a slight advantage as it has phone support, but the bang-for-your-buck of Streamline is hard to beat.

mco 00:09 02 Apr 06

I'm sure heartinternet would be fine too as a very important person here has links to them and doubtless wouldn't if they weren't fine. I use web-mania for one of mine and web-mania are both cheap and very quick with customer service.

Forum Editor 00:25 02 Apr 06

and I rate them very highly. I have used several hosts over the years, and I still use another company for some of my client sites, but the bulk of them are hosted on my Heart account.

I took quite while choosing a company when I wanted a reseller account, I host a fair number of client sites, and some of them are fairly complex and pretty big. I wanted to feel that I could rely on the servers, and on the support.

All I can say is that I have been operating with them for just under a year now, and during that time they haven't missed a beat. My sites run smoothly, and I can guarantee my clients 100% uptime - something I've never been able to do before. On a couple of occasions I've used the online support system and it's worked perfectly. I've not waited more than an hour or two for a response, and each time my problem has been quickly resolved.

I can recommend Heart without hesitation.

I have also used web-mania, and as mco says they are both inexpensive and efficient.

toddymax 09:03 03 Apr 06

The info. given has been really helpful so far. Great to know you can access such feedback.

jgosden 19:03 04 Apr 06

Alot of webhosts who even seem to be UK based don't always have there servers in the UK however especially some of the smaller ones. Because getting servers in US Datacentres are so much cheaper. I used to use click here who were excellent but are US based. And have recently set up my own hosting company at click here.

Web mania are good however I don't like streamline.net as much as I have found there servers quite slow -- probably a bit overloaded!

Good Luck

the3musketeers 20:28 04 Apr 06

Bluehost, I need say no more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…