Web hosting advice

Beth 12:36 12 Jan 11

I help with a charity. A couple of years ago someone, who is no longer involved, authorised an agency to design a website. I'm told that no contracts were signed. It turns out that the web-hosting costs are in the region of £300 per year. How easy would it be to change to something cheaper? I have no knowledge of the subject or of what would be involved. We need to be able to access the site to update the information given.

I won't be able to acknowledge responses immediately but I would be very grateful for any advice on the subject.

GaT7 14:29 12 Jan 11

I'm afraid I don't have an direct suggestions concerning this, but would suggest you to contact charities that already have fully operational websites. Hopefully they will be able to make suitable recommendations & offer related advice.

I think the Registrant or Admin linked to the respective site is the appropriate person to contact (somebody correct me if wrong).

Here's an example:

Charity: Tearfund / Website: click here

A search for tearfund.org at click here, will give you this info click here

So you would make contact via the Registrant or Admin email addresses mentioned there.

And likewise with any other charity that has a website.

Incidentally, Sir Cliff Richard is Tearfund's current Vice President. G

P.S. If my post proves no good, try posting your queries in the PCA Webdesign forum click here

Graham. 14:48 12 Jan 11

Microsoft Office Live is free click here

It will shortly be replaced by Office 365 click here

You will need to take control of the domain name so you can direct it to any site you set up.

One of my sites on Office Live click here

Graham. 15:02 12 Jan 11

Another free option is Blogger. One of my 'Test' sites click here

Once again, you could point the domain name to it.

Beth 16:16 12 Jan 11

Thanks. I'll pass the info on and we can take it from there. The Webdesign forum had some interesting threads. We already use Office Live so that's another place to start.

Woolwell 17:27 12 Jan 11

You can look around for a cheaper option from another hosting company. It depends on whether you just want the site hosted or e-mail as well. For e-mail you will need to get the tag released by your current host and the new host should give you a form to submit to the previous host.

The major question is who is going to keep your website up-to-date and relevant. I see too many out of date websites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009