Web Host recommendations needed

Claremarianne 11:25 03 May 07

I'm about to set up a website for a social club, has anyone got any recommendations for a web hosting company? We only need a small basic website, together with a domain name and email forwarding facility, and possibly a few photos.

Also, with companies like 1&1 and Fasthosts, does the content of your website automatically get picked up by the likes of Google - is this included in the cost - I can't fathom it out from looking at the websites.

Advice appreciated please!

Sebastian Ereira 13:00 03 May 07

try click here, my website was up and running in 1 day

Claremarianne 13:38 03 May 07

...will have a look at it. Any other advice still very welcome please!

malcolme 23:59 03 May 07

If you would like a free web site take a look at this: click here

Madala 11:16 14 May 07

Look out this company.
Amazed prices.

click here

Compassion 14:11 16 May 07

The main way that google finds websites is by following links. So, if your site is linked to by other sites which Google already knows about, then Google will find it. The number of links and the quality/reliability of the sites which link to your site also affect how quickly your site will show up, and also how high it will be in the rankings.

You can submit the address of your site to Google, which lets them know about it, but doesn't guarantee that they will index it (so that the pages will show up in Google). Essentially, that is what services like 1&1's "Traffic Booster" does. It may be convenient, but you can do it yourself, if your hosting company doesn't provide it.

Other search engines (Yahoo etc.) work in a similar way.

If the listing in Google is important to you, they provide some free tools/information pages that let you check whether individual pages are being found, how often google checks your site etc. You have to verify that the site belongs to you - usually this involves uploading a special file to the site.

Probably, you only really need to do 3 things:
1. Set up your site
2. Submit the address to Google using click here
3. If your social club is part of a larger organisation/network of clubs or if you know other sites which have a similar theme, ask them if they would put up an announcement about your new website (with the site address, of course!) You could do the same for any websites dealing with local events/news etc.

Once your site has been up and running for a while:
type link: [your site address] into the google search box to find other websites that link to your site
type site: [your site address] to find pages of your site that google knows about

Some links that might be helpful:

Google Help for Website Owners (click here) The links under "My Site and Google" provide useful information
Explanation of how google finds sites (click here)
Google Webmaster Tools (click here)
Submit your site address to Google (click here)

Compassion 16:57 16 May 07

Oops. Sorry, fourm member, I wasn't very clear about that. Definitely never pay anyone for search engine optimisation. I would only really submit a site/sitemap if it has no incoming links - it has *appeared to* jumpstart the indexing process in the past, but who knows with Google...

djbenny 20:25 16 May 07

these are good:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac