web graphics go grainy when gif'd using PSP

turkeylurkey 13:32 28 Jan 03

i am designing my own website and I'm using paint shop pro for the graphics. It all looks lovely until I use the gif optimizer when it all goes grainy, even though I'm using websafe colours.
I've tried adjusting dithering and using no transparency but whatever I do, the images just don't look good.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a better program (preferably free!!) for making gifs?

Pesala 14:25 28 Jan 03

Check out the acknowledgements on my help page for links to the free graphics programs that I used for the gifs on my website.

click here

Xara Webstyle really helps you to be creative. Irfan View is the very useful for resizing scans to a precise pixel count, and for making interlaced images. Recently, I have started using Serif Page Plus, which also produces some fine gifs with drop shadows and transparency. I never noticed any problems with graininess - have look at the graphics on my site.

Squall 15:01 28 Jan 03

How do your graphics look like if you save them as Jpegs?

gifs only support 8 bit colour, and so always look pretty rubish if they have been created from an image that previously had a higher colour depth.

If you want trasparent images you could try saving into PNG format. This is replacing gifs as the format of choice for trasparent images etc, but I don't think that they work in as many browsers as gifs do.

turkeylurkey 15:51 28 Jan 03

pesala:

I will try those progs.have used both before but I
assumed that PSP could handle a measly gif!!
thanks

squall:

the graphics look fine as jpegs but is it ok to use them or png's? I've been learning this webpage malarkey from articles on the web and they always say to use gifs. Are they just being over cautious in case people have never heard of IE/Netscape?
thanks

Squall 16:29 28 Jan 03

Are good for web pages because the usually are small in size. When I create webpages I usually go with jpegs for detailed photos, or images with loads of colour in. Gifs are good for transparent images, (Can't do this with a jpg) and simple colours.

You can get away with using gif's if you create the images from scratch yourself. Then you can keep the colours simple. 8 bit colour is rubbish. I don't know how well supported PNG is at the minute, thats why I am leaving it alone for now.

turkeylurkey 16:47 28 Jan 03

that's great.thanks for all your help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…