Web Filtering Software

smcarlsen 11:42 17 Feb 03

Can someone recommend some good web filtering software which I can run on my son's computer. I don't need a firewall or anti virus integrated into it as these components are installed on his PC already. His operating system is XP Pro. I would preferably like to purchase with a one off payment rather subscribing to a monthly update.

smcarlsen 13:48 17 Feb 03

tran1 14:00 17 Feb 03

What do you mean by Web filtering software?

Stuff to protect your from Spyware, pOp-ups etc?

smcarlsen 14:20 17 Feb 03

I was thinking more, denying access to dodgy websites, but if the software can do other things like that then all the better.

IanNiblock 14:36 17 Feb 03

I have never used it personally, but you could try click here - they do offer a free trial to download.

€dstow 14:45 17 Feb 03

ALL of these "nanny" programs are of very limited usefulness and anyone with more than a passing knowledge of computing can over-ride them in a very short time. I understand there are competitions held in schools to see who can beat the system quickest.

Far better, in my opinion, to have a good relationship with your child and explain your worries and concerns rather than censoring what he/she is doing. There have been lots of posts on this subject and based on that, I am pretty sure that the concensus of the regular forum members is with me on this.

I have a very good relationship with my parents and ever since childhood both my brother and myself were able to speak to them about anything at all. There has never been the slightest embarrassment on any subject at all ever since my (elder) brother was found to have some dubious magazines hidden away. My parents were upset not because he had the mags but because he thought he had to hide them. He is now a consultant gynaecologist.

Having said all that, these nanny programs aren't all that clever anyway as they look for certain letter combinations so words like attitude, Scunthorpe and Penistone would be definitely for the chop. There are lots of other examples.

Belatucadrus 18:41 17 Feb 03

click here for a couple of free options.

mikef™ 18:54 17 Feb 03

Have a look here for tests on several filtering products click here={D336F48A-1CE0-49C6-8ACD-3B6B62FDFC40}

mikef™ 18:57 17 Feb 03

Try this link will take you straight to the page click here

Irishman 19:02 17 Feb 03

I use Cybersitter click here and find that it works quite well provided that the updates are done regularly. The only problem that I have found with it is that it does not like the user accounts in XP. I have it turned off for my own account and on for the family account but when switching from the family back to my own account I find that I have to do a restart or else the program seems to get confused as to whether it's on or not. I tried most of the freeware versions and found none of them to work as they were advertised. I could get to the Daily Sport site with no problem. (Purely in the interests of research of course)

smcarlsen 20:44 17 Feb 03

Thanks very much everyone, there seems to be a lot of useful information for me to check out.
I have been a bit edgy ever since he was round at his mates house and admitted to visiting a site showing images of mutilation and death. The parents of his friend have since been informed and we think it is for the best. 12 years is a bit young to have a free run of such a vast resource on every subject known to man.

Thanks again everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…