Web developer: the right learning sequence?

Revi 08:00 12 Nov 05

Although I use FP03 to build websites, I am simultaneously learning, though slightly in a haphazard way, HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT and would eventually like to learn XML too. Could the experts in this forum please guide me in which order I should learn the various web developing tools and what other languages/programs would be useful apart from the ones I have already mentioned?

Forum Editor 11:07 12 Nov 05

Then CSS, PHP. You should also be up to speed with MySQL databasing and server technologies.

Follow on from those, paying particular attention to accessibility issues.

There are many web technologies, and you'll struggle to conquer them all - concentrate on mastering the basics and get plenty of practice. There's really no substitute for simply doing it - the rest will come by degrees.

Revi 11:15 12 Nov 05

Many thanks for your prompt reply and advice!

Revi 11:26 12 Nov 05

One question, must one download PHP from somewhere in order to learn it? In that case does one need any special server for it?

Taran 14:29 12 Nov 05

PHP can be downloaded for free and installed to your PC click here but you will need a web server to serve your PHP code which will display the (X)HTML output in your web browser.

click here for a discussion on this, and here are a bunch of links on installing either or all of Apache, PHP and MySQL:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Note that of you already have IIS as part of Windows 2000 or XP Professional you can install MYSQL and PHP to run with it. This is fine for all but seriously advanced work, where some PHP commands go a bit haywire under IIS, but for general use it can be easier to plug PHP and MySQL into IIS if you already have it.

click here for my overall favourite precompiled Apache, PHP and MySQL bundle. As long as you follow the instructions to the letter it takes minutes to install and works a treat, but you will need to alter the C:\www\Apache2\conf\httpd.conf file to listen on port 8080 if you already have IIS installed and running, and if you do alter that file, you call your Apache sample page at http:// localhost:8080/

T

Revi 18:00 12 Nov 05

Sorry for the delayed reply. Million thanks for the comprehensive information. I would require a good deal of time to do justice to the vast material received from you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…