Web Design in Word

555 12:23 05 Feb 03

I am a novice with the net, but have managed to put a website together and upload it using MS Word Office XP version & smart FTP. The text works fine, but the graphics that I have imported show in web preview in word, but do not show when uplifted to the net. All I get is an X and placeholder where the grpahics shoudl be.

Any ideas please

mackaycc 12:40 05 Feb 03

One of the most common reasons that this happens is that your links to the pictures do not match exactly the name's of the pictures. When you have uploaded your site make sure that you have referenced your pictures properly. When you preview your site on your computer, the case you use on your links does not matter, but it does cause problems when the site has been uploaded.

harristweed 12:43 05 Feb 03

It could be that the graphics file are very large and are taking a very long time to load. (20 minutes is possible)

Are you using a dial up connection or ADSL?

Are your graphics jpg or gif format?

try reducing the file size to 50K max 20K is better.

Your can use your favourite photo editing software for this.

tran1 12:45 05 Feb 03

Did you upload the pictures as well as the webpages?

Aspman 13:21 05 Feb 03

Double check the links to your images. It's quite common to find the page is trying to get to an image on your local HD i.e. the link will be "C:\mypics\pic1.jpg".

Have a look around for a free web page builder prog you often get them of the fron of mags (like PC Advisor). MS Word produces some really awful code when you make web pages through it. So bad in fact that Dreamweaver has a special tool to remove Word HTML.

mackaycc 13:24 05 Feb 03

It'll probably be worth your while, and would make it easier to help you if you provided the URL of your site.

555 16:03 05 Feb 03

Many thanks to you all, I appreciate your time, and I realise I am a "dummy"

This is the info some of you asked for:
site click here (I have tried to put a logo in there .jpg file) on the home page
I am using broadband guess that is ADSL?
I have tried gif & jpg formats, neither work.
The files are very small 4kb
I uploaded the pictures are well as the .htm files

It looks like Iwillhave to try and use the "coffee cup HTML editor" that I downloaded, but that looks very very compicated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…