Web Design Software...Recommendations

Dumfy 16:14 15 May 03

Hi All,

My brother-in-law has just set up a new business and asked me if I'd be interested in trying to create a web site for him. I haven't a clue about designing web pages, but thought it would be an interesting project to get in to.

I'd like to give it a go so I'm after some recommendations for suitable software that will help me as a novice and then to progress later.

Is MS Frontpage any good or am I better off with something like Macromedia Dreamweaver? Any other titles that would be more suitable?

If anyone can also point me to some helpful web design sites, iit would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dumfy

recap 16:20 15 May 03

For a beginner Front Page should do you, anything under version 4 I would not recommend using. Front Page 2K would be the one to go for.

Dreamweaver is a little complex for a beginner.

AndySD 16:23 15 May 03

Macromedia Dreamweaver is the indusyry standard and my favorite ...but its price reflects that. If you choose this then there are tutorials with the program.... I can also recomend click here as a great way to start with Dreamweaver.

MartinT-B 16:24 15 May 03

Dreamweaver MX is EXCELENT.

New Tutorials included in the package and a ton of books on the market. Just take it slowly.

HTML is much cleaner than other wysiwyg HTML programs.

I love it :)

It ain't cheap tho.

Xevious 16:24 15 May 03

quite right, no need to look any further than frontpage. that's how i started off, it can give a professional look even though it's really easy to use.

King Diamond 18:16 15 May 03

Yip...I go with Dreamweaver also.

Pesala 19:04 15 May 03

but if you haven't got a clue about Web designing and your brother-in-law is just starting a new business that sounds like a recipe for disaster, though it depends on how important the site is to his business.

If he intends to do business through the website he should employ a professional.

Sorry, but there are a lot of duff websites out there. Here is one that really works well: click here

Dumfy 19:20 15 May 03

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Much appreciated indeed.

I understand what you mean Pesala, but there's nothing to worry about. This isn't his main business as it's a side line of his that he has on the back burner. I wouldn't attempt it if it was major and his primary business. Thanks for the thought though.

I see that the price is very high for Dreamweaver. Either he coughs up with reddies, or I go with Front Page!

I let this run a little longer before ticking it.

Regards

Dumfy

MartinT-B 20:58 15 May 03

It's a good long term investment.

Why not try the 30 day trial?

cjc42 21:32 15 May 03

Dumfy,
Go for it, use Frontpage, design the site, don't tell anyone the address until you think it's complete and compared it with other sites, then ask the opinion of those who have more experience than yourself, then put it right (several times <g>) and publish it.

cjc

Taran 22:53 15 May 03

Many professional web designers use FrontPage for a lot of very good reasons (I'm one of them).

To be honest, there really isn't much you might want to do in web design that FrontPage can't do. The vast majority of maligned reports about FrontPage come from people who quote reviews they've read that compare it unfavourably to Dreamweaver or similar products, or from those who simply do not know how to use it properly and just how capable it can be in the right hands.

If you already have FrontPage, forking out for Dreamweaver is probably a complete waste of money followed by an equal waste of your time in trying to get to grips with it. Industry standard or not, despite being superb, Dreamweaver requires considerable time investment to become proficient in and is nowhere near as inutitive as FrontPage.

I like and use Dreamweaver, GoLive, FrontPage and NetObjects Fusion in about that order, but out of them all FrontPage is about the fastest way of putting a site framework together that I know of.

Ask 100 web designers and you'll get about as many different answers to your question.

Arguments about lean code are relative in many cases; at worst the page file sizes will be a few kb larger and take a split second longer to load and these days all mainstream browsers understand and correctly interpret FrontPage code.

I'd stick with what you have since it does not entail further financial outlay, it is relatively easy to use, it can produce excellent results with the right user behind it and its natural integration with other MS products is superb. FrontPage tutorials are dead easy to find online, so try running some Google searches along those lines for a lot of very useful ideas.

Good luck with the project.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…