Web Design Software

Blue4Ever 16:16 02 Dec 07

Hi, this is my first post so be gentle. I want to try web design for fun but would like to know which software to use. I have used Frontpage before but would like something newer. I am not interested in the cheapest software, just the best / easiest. It has to be WYSIWYG as i am reletavely new to web design. It would also help to know which products go well together. For instance Adobe CS3 Web incorporates DW and also graphics design software. Which graphics / image design software is best with Expression Web or is there other software that is better? I would like to get to know about CSS, XML etc. Any constructive answers would be really helpful. Thanks.

gibbs1984 17:42 02 Dec 07

Well I wouldn't worry about XML at the moment, firstly I'd say read the tutorials on XHTML and CSS from the W3C - click here.

There's lots of good tutorials out for these subjects as well.

With regards to the web design program I'm not really sure what is good for WYSIWYG, I use Dreamweaver 8 and Expressions but write the code out myself so not sure how user friendly they are.

mco 19:01 02 Dec 07

then forget anything about CSS/XHTML for the time being - not forever, just for the time being. You can create perfectly good websites (quote) 'for fun' with WYSIWYG. There's nothing wrong with FrontPage but why not download a free trial of Expression Web as that's one you mention? I know Dreamweaver's the one everyone quotes - if you want to give it a go; fine, but I found it really hard to get used to until I'd practised the basics in easier software elsewhere. NetObjects Fusion is favoured on this board as a useful starter program - you can get older versions (8 or 9) fairly cheaply or if price isn't an issue you could buy the most up to date - NOF10. Serif Webplus is also an easy,starter WYSIWYG and is very cheap, even for the latest edition. I can't advise much on graphics although I can say that with the sites I do I use Xara WebStyle (which I actually got free from a pc mag; might even have been this one!) and which does the job perfectly well.

Kemistri 19:18 02 Dec 07

DW is quite hard to learn because of the initial hurdle. I spent a week or so with a trial version one time and didn't get fully used to it. As I didn't much feel like stumping up over £350 (as it was then) I didn't pursue it further. I'm sure it's OK once you're fully up to speed with it, but it's not the only option.

You can teach yourself CSS in a week or two, no problem. I'm no genius, so I reckon that if I can use it, anyone can. The effort spent learning new software could be spent learning how websites actually work underneath the skin. click here - money very well spent for me.

123joey123 14:28 27 Apr 08

I use Serif Web Plus see
click here

It's not expensive and it'll do all you want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5