Web design links to get you going...

Taran 02:47 24 May 03

HTML colour picker - like the name suggests, it gives you the range of standard HTML colours that all browsers understand and correctly interpret. Either click on a colour for full details or hover your mouse cursor over one of the coloured cells and look at the bottom left of your browser window for full text descriptions:

click here

========================================

HTML tutorials, downloads and code validation (not to mention loads of other goodies and helpful information on all things web):

click here

HTML Editors - these are my favourite free editors. Note that they are code editors, not WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) so if code scares you, be warned...

ACE HTML 5 (free) - this one is so good it shouldn't be free;

click here

Arachnophilia - ditto

click here

HTML Kit - ditto again !

click here

FTP

ACE FTP (freeware)

click here

HTML tutorials.

The following three links have so much useful information between them that if you absorb even a fraction of it, your understanding of and ability with web pages/sites will skyrocket.

click here

click here

click here

Cross browser tables - a superb example of tables from simple to complex, including the code that makes them up, with examples;

click here

The above is not exhaustive by any stretch of the imagination. I've left out CSS and JavaScript for now, since I wanted to concentrate on the most useful fundamentals rather than going all "bells and whistles" from the outset.

The links should help everyone, especially the last four. If you don't learn anything at all from them, I want to employ you !

Happy webbing !

Regards all

Taran

powerless 03:29 24 May 03

It's a little late now or is that early to have a thorough read.

But Lets talk HTML

<html>

<head>

<title>thanks</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>Thank you</h1>

<p>Although i copied and pasted it into NOTEPAD i leant something in the process

<p>For Example the P means a new paragraph

<P>Like this

</body>

</html>

I hope thats right!

powerless 03:30 24 May 03

Spaces in between because of the way the forum works.

powerless 04:15 24 May 03

"If you don't learn anything at all from them, I want to employ you !"

Umm... it was a shame i learn't something, a new job was on the horizon.

AndySD 06:40 24 May 03

Although it a competitors site there are some good tutorials click here

Forum Editor 07:30 24 May 03

for all those useful links, and extra thanks for keeping to the fundamentals.

We want forum users to feel that this is a place they can come and get help even if they've never designed a web site before, and it's very important that we don't disappear under a welter of HTML code and techie-talk.

Almost everyone who starts out to design a site will be using a WYSIWYG editor, and we aim to place a fairly heavy emphasis on this aspect of design, although anyone who fancies trying a bit of hand-coding might be surprised at how rewarding it can be.

Taran 08:46 24 May 03

I should really have included links to the excellent FrontPage tutorial downloads, kindly provided by Microsoft as an optional add-in.

For all you budding FrontPage users out there, start by going to the Office update site click here

Under where it says;

1. Select the product and version you want to see downloads for:

you will see two drop down lists. Choose FrontPage from the Product: drop down list, then choose the version of FrontPage you use from the Version: drop down list. Finally you can click on the Update List button. A page full of available download links appears.

Depending on which version of FrontPage you have and selected, scroll down until you see either;

FrontPage 2000 Tutorial

or

FrontPage 2002 Add-in: Tutorial

Click on whichever one is suitable for your version of FrontPage and follow the prompts to download the tutorial.

The direct links are:

FP 2000 click here

FP 2002 click here

Both of the downloads come in as an EXE file which, when double clicked, creates a website root folder on your hard drive full of web pages. These web pages contain step-by-step walk-through content, instructing you on the use of common controls, tasks and general page and site creation and editing skills including embedding images and hyperlinking. They hold your hand through the entire process and once you've followed the instructions they contain, you'll wonder why you didn't start enjoying playing with FrontPage before now.

The FP2000 download is only 1.2mb while the FP2002 tutorial is a little over 800kb, so either one will only take a few minutes to get, even on a 56k modem and you can use them to learn at your own pace, creating a site form start to finish.

If you have FrontPage and you don't know where to start, read the helpfile tutorials and download the above tutorial add ons. There isn't much that FrontPage can't do for designing good sites, so don't be put off into thinking that you absolutely have to have Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive or NetObjects Fusion.

FrontPage is fast, efficient, very intuitive and far easier to learn than just about any other WYSIWYG editor, so what are you waiting for ?

Good luck.

T

Rtus 11:26 24 May 03

Im hoping to learn something from this part of the forum ..In dabbling with Front page A while ago I bought Frontpage Weekend crash course ..Bally thing it took me a week to find the edge of the packaging to open it.To be honest I still havent got too far into it.. A certain persons guides were more helpful.Thanks for the additional links Taran

Taran 12:05 24 May 03

No problem.

We'll see how the WebDesign forum goes and which direction it starts to take. Obviously this will be dictated by whoever wants to ask questions and what it is they ask about.

There is a wealth of information online, from program helpfiles and (dare I say it) from fellow forum members. Many of us develop websites professionally and don't mind one bit when someone new to web design wants to know how to do something.

It can all be a bit daunting and confusing when you want to start out.

Common questions often include;

1. Do I need to learn code ?

This is one of the most regularly asked questions and to get things off to a running start, no you don't need to learn any code at all - at least not at first. It is worth learning some HTML but it is not essential for starting out and even when you do feel ready to get your teeth into web coding, it isn't anywhere near as difficult or complicated as you may think.

2. Do I need to buy Dreamweaver/FrontPage/GoLive etc ?

3. Which program do I use ?

4. How do I upload my site ?

5. How do I hyperlink one page to another ?

6. How do I place an image into a page ?

7. How do I put some files on my site for download ?

The list could go on, but the above are some of the most regularly asked questions that I encounter. Others may have a different selection but I'd imagine we will see the above soon enough from posters.

It's worth everyone keeping one thing in mind - no matter how experienced you may or may not be, everyone was new to web design at one point and most of us who have some experience in the field well remember how confusing it all seemed when we were starting out.

There are no stupid questions but, in my case at least, you may get a stupid answer...

T

spuds 14:16 24 May 03

Great source of information provided.What a great start for this new PCA project.

Rtus 14:37 24 May 03

I had a feeling you'd be one of the first to post Taran ..Were lucky to have such generous contributor's ( not sure of Spelling (but your Sp Chk says it right..LOL) Thanks.Ill get down to reading and saving whatever I can for reference later.Mind the only annoying thing Is I cant upload them to My Isp I havent any web space allocated with the Ones Im with .But musnt grumble at this price..My Web attempts even for SO6 were put to CDR to try out.I quickly learnt every thing had to be in the same folder to get it to work...Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…